Orissa students hold anti-Posco protestOctober 27th, 2008 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Jagatsinghpur, Oct 27 (IANS) Hundreds of college and school students have launched a protest against the proposed steel plant by South Korean steel major Posco in the region, police said Monday. The students from Nuagaon, Gada Kujanga and Dhinkia villages carried out processions holding placards, banners and posters Sunday at Dhinkia - the epicentre of the anti-Posco agitation in the coastal district of Jagatsinghpur, over 100 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
They demanded the withdrawal of the project from the area and the release of anti-Posco leader Abhaya Kumar Sahu, who was arrested Oct 12.
”The protest was peaceful,” Arun Sahu, a police official, told IANS.
According to the police, there are over 20 criminal cases pending against Sahu, who is also a senior leader of the Communist Party of India (CPI).
Posco, the world’s fourth largest steel maker, signed a deal with the Orissa government in June 2005 to build a steel plant by 2016.
However, over 20,000 people from around 15 nearby villages have opposed the project, saying it would take away their homes and livelihood.
Posco says the plant would affect only 500 families but would create thousands of jobs. The project has not made any progress because of the protest by local villagers.
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Orissa court grants bail to anti-Posco leader - Aug 20, 2009
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail - Aug 22, 2009
- Anti-Posco leader threatens to intensify stir - Sep 12, 2009
- Hundreds protest anti-Posco activist's arrest in Orissa (Lead) - Oct 27, 2008
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- Odisha ex-lawmaker held for Posco violence - Dec 24, 2011
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- Anti-Posco leaders win local body polls in Orissa - May 06, 2009
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
- Survey work for POSCO starts amid protest - May 25, 2010
- Orissa villagers observe 'Black Day' to protest Posco pact - Jun 22, 2011
- Clashes over road construction at Posco site, one killed - Dec 14, 2011
- Posco project work to start early next year - Aug 26, 2009
- Anti-Posco agitators protest leader's arrest - Oct 13, 2008