Orissa seeks Rs.15 bn to tackle slowdownFebruary 18th, 2009 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 18 (IANS) The Orissa government has sought Rs.15 billion (Rs.1,500 crore) from the central government to tackle the economic slowdown, the government said Wednesday.
Orissa Finance Minister Prafulla Ghadei placed the demand with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia in the national capital Tuesday.
“The world is going through a massive economic meltdown and the Indian economy and economies of states are faced with challenging times,” Ghadei said in a memorandum submitted to Ahluwalia.
Orissa implemented the revised payscales and pension for the state employees on the basis of pay commission recommendations, the memorandum said, adding that while this move benefited about 400,000 government employees and around 249,000 pensioners, it had also “put a tremendous pressure on the state’s finances”.
“We urged the centre for grant of Rs.1,500 crore one-time special package to effectively deal with adverse impact of the economic slowdown,” Ghadei said in a statement Wednesday.
He said the Orissa government has progressively increased the state’s annual plan outlay, raising it from Rs.25 billion (Rs.2,500 crore) in 2004-05 to Rs.95 billion (Rs.9,500 crore) in 2008-9.
- Orissa asks for a Rs. 1,500 crore grant to tackle economic meltdown - Feb 18, 2009
- Himachal seeks Rs.3,000 crore assistance - Aug 24, 2010
- Himachal proposes Rs.3,300 crore plan for 2011-12 - Jan 27, 2011
- India's economic growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Tripura seeks fiscal package of Rs.14,600 crore - Nov 15, 2011
- Private participation vital to expedite development in northeast: Plan panel - Mar 30, 2012
- Dhumal in please-all mode in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 03, 2012
- Good showing gets Rajasthan 22 percent hike in plan outlay - Mar 21, 2012
- Another pre-poll sop for over 300,000 'babus' (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Food security bill near ready, hike in social sector spending - Feb 28, 2011
- Andhra presents Rs.1.45 lakh crore budget (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Himachal offers sops to employees - Jun 18, 2012
- Punjab seeks Rs.400 crore central assistance - Jul 16, 2011
- Left walks out of Kerala assembly - Oct 19, 2011
- Government sets up panel to review poverty line - May 24, 2012