Orissa rights panel seeks report on shoot-out deathsJanuary 4th, 2011 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 3 (IANS) The Orissa state human rights panel Monday sought a report from the police chief of Bargarh district on the deaths of two people in alleged staged shoot-out last week.State Human Rights Commission chairman Justice R.K. Patra said the commission has taken, on its own, cognisance of media reports on the matter and asked the superintendent of police to submit a preliminary report to the commission within two weeks time.
“We will take appropriate decision after that,” he told reporters.
Madhav Singh Thakur and Ramesh Sahu were killed Dec 26 at the Gandhamardan Hill range in Bargarh, about 500 km from here. Police claimed the two were Maoists and were killed during a gunfight, but Gandhamardan Suraksha Yuva Parishad (GSYP), a local organisation, and opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) refuted the claim and said both were their members.
GSYP also Monday observed a dawn-to-dusk shutdown in parts of the district seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation probe in the killings.
Normal life was severely affected in villages and towns under Jharbandh, Padampur and Paikmal block with shops shut and commercial vehicles off the roads during the agitation. Private and commercial establishments were also found closed in the region due to the strike, which was supported by opposition parties, including the BJP and the Congress.
- Shutdown by anti-mining group hits life in Orissa - Jan 03, 2011
- Widows seek justice for 'fake encounter' deaths in Orissa - Jan 27, 2011
- Probe Orissa shootout, BJP tells NHRC - Apr 29, 2011
- Orissa BJP leader, businessman killed, families cry foul - Dec 30, 2010
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
- Orissa forest guard shot dead by Maoists - Sep 19, 2011
- Maoists kill home guard in Odisha ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Congress shutdown hits life in Odisha - Sep 10, 2012
- Eight of family killed as van skids into canal - Oct 30, 2010
- BJP demands beneficiaries' check up over pulses scam - Feb 10, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition holds mass rally (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- BJP demands removal of Chidambaram - Aug 10, 2011
- Orissa rights panel seeks report on pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- Lottery scam: Five foreigners sent to judicial custody - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: agitation, bargarh, central bureau of investigation, cognisance, commercial establishments, commercial vehicles, commission chairman, dawn to dusk, gunfight, human rights commission, killings, maoists, opposition parties, orissa state, patra, police chief, preliminary report, ramesh, sahu, thakur