Orissa mine mishap toll rises to 15 (Second Lead)November 14th, 2008 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 14 (IANS) At least 15 workers were killed Friday while extracting laterite from a quarry in Orissa’s Jajpur district when a mound of earth collapsed on them, the police said.”A group of workers had gone to a quarry to extract laterite in a mining area located under Sukinda police station. A portion of the quarry suddenly collapsed on them,” District Superintendent of Police D.S. Kutey told IANS. Laterite is a stone used as a building material.
A police team rushed to the site and rescue operations were underway in Jajpur, about 150 km from here.
“So far 15 bodies have been recovered, but we fear there could be two or three more people stuck under the debris as the exact numbers of workers engaged in the work was still unknown,” the police official added.
- Six killed in Orissa mine accident - Nov 14, 2008
- 13 killed in Orissa mine accident (Lead) - Nov 14, 2008
- Sunstroke toll rises to 37 in Odisha - Jun 15, 2012
- Land mine planted by Maoists detected in Orissa - Jan 04, 2011
- Three Maoists surrender in Orissa - Apr 23, 2011
- Take control of state's mines, union minister tells Orissa - May 07, 2011
- Five Maoists, including a boy, surrender in Orissa - Jan 15, 2011
- Three trapped in Goa mining accident - Jun 18, 2011
- Police seize arms after gun battle with Maoists - Sep 07, 2010
- Now, Goa's site for National Games illegally mined - May 01, 2012
- Two killed in Kashmir stone quarry collapse - May 01, 2010
- Toll in Jalandhar factory accident rises to 23 - Apr 22, 2012
- Four Maoists surrender in Orissa - Jun 25, 2011
- Eight die in as fireworks unit explodes - Oct 25, 2011
- Search on for missing Tata Steel engineer - Sep 25, 2010