Orissa hastens post flood re-constructionOctober 8th, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 8 (IANS) Orissa has set up panels to speed up reconstruction work in the districts hit by two rounds of floods last month, an official said Saturday.
The floods triggered by heavy rains for several days had killed at least 80 people and disrupted lives of more than five million residents in 21 of state’s 30 districts.
The state authorities have set a target to spend Rs.1,208 crore by the end of November to restore damaged roads, bridges, buildings, and other infrastructure in the affected areas.
The state government has already decided to construct cement roads at a total cost of Rs.150 crore in the 3,000 villages that were hit by the disaster, a senior official of the state disaster management department told IANS.
The government Friday set up a state level monitoring committee led by special relief commissioner. Secretaries of various departments concerned are its members.
District collectors of the affected regions have been told to set up similar committees in their districts.
The committees will monitor all the restoration activities and ensure that the quality of work is not compromised at any cost. Besides, they will also see to it that works get completed by the deadlines set.
- Orissa floods: Exam fees for students waived - Oct 02, 2011
- Orissa seeks Rs.1,000 crore for flood relief - Oct 21, 2011
- Odisha seeks funds for flood hit areas - Dec 03, 2011
- PM visits Leh, announces Rs.125-crore relief package (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- $220 million World Bank credit for Bihar flood-affected - Sep 10, 2010
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Assam floods: Central team to assess damage, toll 88 - Jul 05, 2012
- PM announces Rs.500 crore for flood-hit Assam (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Mamata to seek Rs.500 crore more for quake-hit Darjeeling - Oct 11, 2011
- Malkangiri Collector kidnapping: Talks on with Maoists - Feb 18, 2011
- Every home destroyed in Leh will be rebuilt: PM (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- Delhi to spend Rs.440 crore on roads, afforestation - Jun 26, 2012
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Centre ignored protests over cement plant in 2004: Dhumal - May 13, 2012
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: bridges, cement, committees, crore, disaster management, flood, floods, hastens, heavy rains, infrastructure, management department, monitoring committee, orissa, reconstruction work, restoration activities, secretaries, state authorities, state disaster, state government, target