Orissa government allows Hindu rally despite centre’s objectionNovember 15th, 2008 - 11:23 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 15 (IANS) At least 1,500 policemen were deployed in the Orissa capital ahead of a massive rally planned by Hindu groups Saturday, police said.Swami Laxmananda Saraswati Sradhanjali Samiti is organising the rally to protest the state government’s alleged inaction in nabbing those guilty of murdering the Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader in Kandhamal district.
The state government allowed the organisation to hold the rally, though the central government objected to it for fear that it may raise communal tension.
“We have deployed about 47 platoons of police forces to maintain law and order,” Bhubaneswar Deputy Commissioner of Police Himansu Lal said.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed communal violence after the killing of Laxmananda Saraswati and his aides at the Jalespata Ashram on Aug 23.
While police blamed Maoists for the crime, Local Hindus alleged Christians were behind the killings and launched attacks on the community. Christian groups have repeatedly said they had nothing to do with the Hindu leader’s murder.
The violence left at least 38 people dead and thousands of Christian had to flee to the jungles to escape rampaging mobs.
While some have returned to their homes, more than 10,000 are still living in government-run relief camps in the district.
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Hindu rally passes off peacefully in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- Security tightened in Kandhamal - Aug 23, 2009
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- EU team wants more help for Kandhamal riot victims - Feb 05, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010