Orissa flood toll rises to 56, thousands diseased (Lead)September 25th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sept 25 (IANS) Thousands of people in Orissa are now suffering from water borne diseases after the floods that have devastated parts of the state, with the toll rising to 56 after eight more deaths were reported Thursday.Floods in the Mahanadi river and its tributaries following incessant rains have affected about four million people and the situation continued to be grim in some areas. More areas, including in Jagatsinghpur district, were inundated Thursday, officials said.
The four worst affected districts are Puri, Cuttack, Jagatsingpur and Kendrapada.
Large numbers of people are coming to medical camps, government and private hospitals and complaining of diarrhoea, respiratory tract infections, fever and skin ailments, a state health official told IANS.
“We have treated 17,868 patients over the past five days and 6,284 were treated Wednesday,” said Kashinath Nayak, chief district medical officer of Kendrapada.
“We have treated at least 476 people suffering from diarrhoea and 212 cases of dysentery,” Nayak said.
“We have deputed a large number of doctors who are camping in the affected areas,” state Revenue Secretary G.V. Venugopala Sarma told IANS, adding that there was no epidemic yet.
“Nobody has died of water borne disease during the floods and it has not taken any epidemic form. The cases reported are sporadic,” Sarma said.
Officials said relief operations have been stepped up and relief and rescue officials have reached all the 827 villages which were marooned.
Over 1,000 personnel, including navy and paramilitary troopers, continued relief and rescue operations Thursday in the affected areas with three Indian Air Force helicopters dropping food packets.
“The air-droppings of food, water and medicines will continue for the next three days,” a government official said.
Many victims said they have not received any relief, while some said they have received inadequate relief. According to a preliminary estimate by the state government, the losses from the floods would be over Rs.24 billion.
- Diseases hit thousands as Orissa's flood toll rises to 50 - Sep 25, 2008
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Army called to help Jaipur, Rajasthan battles floods - Aug 24, 2012
- Problems follow as floods recede in Assam - Jul 12, 2012
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Floods recede in northeast; thousands still in shelters - Jul 02, 2012
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Flood-like situation affects 40,000 in north Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Floods trigger epidemic fears in Meghalaya - Aug 22, 2011
- Over 80,000 affected in north Bengal floods - Jul 18, 2012