Orissa doctors dismissed for cutting palms of tribals (Lead)October 24th, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 24 (IANS) The Orissa government Friday dismissed three doctors for allegedly cutting off the palms of five tribals while performing autopsies on their bodies. The tribals were killed during police firing in the coastal district of Jajpur three years ago.
“The state government has dismissed them from their jobs following the order of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Thursday,” a senior official of the state health department told IANS.
He said that of the 500 tribals protesting construction being undertaken by Tata Steel at the industrial complex in Kalinga Nagar, some 100 km from Bhubaneswar, at least 13 were killed during police firing Jan 2, 2006.
Bibek Swain, an anaesthesiologist, Santanu Sahu, a surgeon and Anup Nath Sharma, an orthopaedic specialist had chopped off the palms from five of the bodies, saying they had done so to preserve the identities of those killed.
The incident had created a storm within and outside Orissa. Following pressure from various human right groups, the state government had suspended the three doctors the same year.
An office bearer of the Orissa Medical Service Association, which had opposed the suspensions of the doctors, Friday said the move would discourage government doctors from performing autopsies.
- Orissa doctors resign en masse over colleagues' dismissal (Lead) - Nov 03, 2008
- Orissa doctors threaten mass resignation over colleagues' dismissal - Nov 03, 2008
- Orissa acts tough against agitating doctors - Nov 07, 2008
- Orissa doctors dismissed for cutting palms of tribes - Oct 24, 2008
- Orissa cracks down on protesting doctors (Lead) - Nov 07, 2008
- Orissa government doctors decide not to go on strike - Nov 09, 2008
- Four injured in clashes with police in Orissa - Mar 30, 2010
- Road work begins in Orissa industrial hub opposed by tribals - Mar 29, 2010
- Maoist deputy commander killed in gunbattle - Jul 02, 2011
- Maoists kill BJD leader in Orissa - Sep 25, 2010
- Man kills brother over land tensions, witchcraft - Nov 01, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Tribals clash with police in Orissa's Kalinga Nagar - Jan 19, 2010
- Tribals hold rally to mark killings - Jan 02, 2010
- Maoist couple killed in Odisha gun battle - Jan 27, 2012