Orissa airdrops food as floods get worseSeptember 24th, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 24 (IANS) Orissa Saturday started airdropping of food packets in marooned villages as a fresh round of floods triggered by heavy rains in the past four days got worse, officials said.
“One helicopter has started airdropping in the districts of Keonjhar and Jajpur. Another chopper will join the operation soon,” special relief commissioner P.K. Mohapatra told reporters.
The state flood control room here said the latest round of floods triggered by heavy rains following a depression over the Bay of Bengal has so far marooned 911 villages in Jajpur, Bhadrak, Balasore, Kendrapada, Keonjhar, Dhenkanal and Mayurbhanj districts.
Thousands of people have already taken shelter in high-rise buildings, river embankments and on roads. However, the surging flood waters have made it difficult for many in the marooned villages to travel to safer places.
While the latest floods in Brahmani and Baitarani rivers have hit Jajpur, Bhadrak, Kendrapada, and Keonjhar and made the situation worse, the Mayurbhanj district has been affected severely due to high flood in the Budhabalanga river.
Floods triggered by heavy rains and release of huge quantities of water from Hirakud dam had earlier this month killed at least 42 people and affected about four million in Orissa’s 19 districts, including in the regions affected by the fresh floods.
At least one person was reported dead in the flood water in Kendrapada district Friday.
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Relief teams deployed in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 24, 2011
- Heavy rain triggers floods in Orissa - Oct 03, 2009
- Relief work continues in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 25, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Dalai Lama gives Rs.10 lakh for flood-hit Orissa - Sep 30, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: 911, bay of bengal, bhadrak, brahmani, chopper, depression, flood control, flood water, flood waters, food packets, heavy rains, helicopter, high rise buildings, mohapatra, orissa, quantities, river embankments, river floods, rivers