Ordinance to provide CISF cover to private industriesJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) Having failed to get the Central Industrial Security Force (Amendment) Bill, 2008, passed by Parliament, the government Friday decided to promulgate an ordinance enabling the private sector to avail of the paramilitary force to guard against terror attacks on industrial houses.The union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh gave the go-ahead to bring in an ordinance said Science and Technology Minister Kapil Sibal.
Permitting the private sector to use CISF cover to secure its establishments was the government’s main concern following the terror strikes on the Taj Mahal Palace and Oberoi-Trident Hotels in Mumbai in November.
According to home ministry sources, there was a long-pending demand from the corporate sector that a central agency be authorised to secure private industrial installations.
Sibal further pointed out that security to private sector would be provided on payment basis.
Corporate houses, including Tata and Reliance Industries, sought CISF cover for their offices and factories.
“The Tatas, the Oberois, Infosys and the Jamnagar Refineries (Reliance) have approached me (for CISF cover),” Home Minister P. Chidambaram said on Wednesday.
Sibal said the government introduced the CISF Amendment Bill in the just concluded session of the Rajya Sabha but it could not be passed because of the lack of time.
He said the draft legislation need not be sent to the standing committee in view of the urgency.
“Security is needed in every sector, public sector, joint sector and private sector which have projects of importance,” he said.
- Ordinance issued to provide CISF cover to private industries - Jan 12, 2009
- CISF security cover for RIL's Jamnagar refinery - Nov 03, 2010
- Protection for Infosys and Electronic City in Bangalore - Nov 25, 2009
- Private firms queue up for paramilitary cover - Dec 15, 2009
- RIL's Jamnagar Refinery to get CISF security cover - Aug 30, 2009
- Pranab supports Mamata on Singur land bill - Jun 11, 2011
- Post 26/11, Infosys gets elite security - Jul 31, 2009
- Government unveils 31 bills for passing, 23 for introduction - Nov 16, 2011
- CISF to protect techies, not intrude on their private space - Jul 31, 2009
- Barack Obama's weekend schedule in Mumbai - Nov 05, 2010
- Andhra to check video piracy - Jun 18, 2010
- Singur land bill will be presented in assembly: Mamata - Jun 10, 2011
- Important bills likely in monsoon session (To go with parliament curtainraiser) - Jul 25, 2010
- Energy sector deals worth Rs.7.38 lakh crore at Gujarat summit - Jan 13, 2011
- Ordinance for deploying CISF for security of private sector enterprises passed - Jan 12, 2009