Ordinance issued to provide CISF cover to private industriesJanuary 12th, 2009 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) The Central Industrial Security Force (Amendment) Ordinance, 2009, which came into effect Saturday, will allow deployment of paramilitary troopers at private and joint sector businesses and also for UN peacekeeping missions abroad, a government statement said.”It (the ordinance) would pave the way for deployment of CISF for the security of private and joint sector enterprises depending upon the threat perception. A provision has also been made to facilitate deputation of CISF personnel on UN Peacekeeping Missions abroad wherever required,” a home ministry statement said Monday.
Permitting the private sector to use CISF to secure its establishments has been a major concern of the government following the terror strikes on the Taj and Oberoi-Trident Hotels in Mumbai in November.
“With the growing threat of terrorist outfits, the industries in the private sector and joint venture, which have contributed to the growth of economy, also require assurance of security,” the statement said.
The relevant sections of the CISF Act, 1968, have been amended to enable deployment of the CISF for security of private sector and joint venture enterprises on cost reimbursement basis.
The union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Jan 2 gave the go-ahead to bring in the ordinance.
Home ministry officials said there was a long-pending demand from the corporate sector that a central agency be authorised to provide security to private industrial installations.
Corporate houses, including Tata and Reliance Industries, sought CISF cover for their offices and factories.
“The Tatas, the Oberois, Infosys and the Jamnagar Refineries (Reliance) have approached me (for CISF cover),” Home Minister P. Chidambaram had earlier said.
- Ordinance for deploying CISF for security of private sector enterprises passed - Jan 12, 2009
- Ordinance to provide CISF cover to private industries - Jan 02, 2009
- Maruti may opt for CISF cover for Manesar plant - Jul 23, 2012
- CISF security cover for RIL's Jamnagar refinery - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan second-largest troop contributor to UN - Jun 03, 2012
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- Private firms queue up for paramilitary cover - Dec 15, 2009
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- Microland to offer cloud solutions with Microsoft - Apr 06, 2012
- Infosys' Pune campus gets CISF cover - Apr 22, 2011
- Cabinet approves guidelines for defence hardware JVs - Feb 09, 2012
- India unveils $191 mn, hospital for Tanzania; to jointly combat piracy (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- US venture fund invests $15 million in Indian IT firm - Feb 15, 2012
- Reliance Power gets 5 hydel projects in Himachal - Mar 18, 2011
- State-run TSL making losses for 20 years - Aug 23, 2011