Order reserved on Ansals’ plea for releasing UphaarMay 15th, 2008 - 12:03 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Delhi High Court Wednesday reserved its order on a plea from the owners of Uphaar cinema seeking permission for productive use of the hall which was sealed following a 1997 fire tragedy that claimed 59 lives. Justice H.R. Malhotra reserved the order after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) made its final submissions in the case.
Theatre owners Sushil Ansal and his brother Gopal Ansal, who were sentenced to two years in jail by the trial court for causing death due to negligence, said in their application to the high court that the property should be handed over to them as the trial in the case was over.
The Ansal brothers said the hall had not been used for several years and they wanted to put it to productive use.
“We have been deprived of our business,” they contended and said the revenue collected from the hall would contribute to the government exchequer.
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Court rejects Ansals' plea to get back Uphaar cinema hall - Mar 21, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Court issues notices on Uphaar cinema owners' plea - Apr 03, 2008
- Uphaar owners move court to get back cinema hall - Apr 02, 2008
- Ansals to face trial for tampering with evidence: court - Sep 03, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy: Delhi HC to pronounce verdict today - Dec 19, 2008
- Uphaar tragedy: High Court upholds conviction of Ansal brothers - Dec 19, 2008