Orchha BJP executive meet marred by intra-party mudslingingApril 8th, 2012 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, April 8 (IANS) The two-day working committee meeting of the Madhya Pradesh unit of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) ended Sunday in Orchha but allegations by a woman councilor against the council chairman brought embarrassment to state leaders.
Orchha, a place known for its temples, falls under Tikamgarh district, over 300 km from Bhopal. The Tikamgarh Municipal Corporation is governed by the BJP.
On Saturday, the state BJP had started its two-day-long meeting in Orchha. Leaders including Ananth Kumar, in-charge of Madhya Pradesh affairs, state Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and state President Prabhat Jha attended the meet.
But on Saturday evening, when BJP leaders were briefing media persons, a councillor of ward number 5, Rani Soni appeared and alleged that chairman Rakesh Giri had sought sexual favours from her in exchange for carrying out development works in her area.
“For the last two years, council chairman Rakesh Giri has been ignoring my ward and when I tell him, he demands sexual favours from me,” Soni alleged before the state BJP leaders.
“I do not want to continue in a party like this,” she added.
Soon, other local BJP leaders took her away from there.
Such allegations were also made against Giri in 2011 by BJP Mahila Morcha president Seema Shrivastava and police had lodged a complaint against him. Giri however, denied Soni’s allegations saying that they were baseless and politically motivated.
- Number of tourists doubles in Madhya Pradesh - Feb 15, 2012
- BJP district president suspended after sleaze clips - Feb 11, 2011
- Congress protests remarks by BJP leaders on ministers - May 23, 2011
- Ex-legislator alleges housing scam in Madhya Pradesh - Nov 21, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh BJP cadres get a lesson and a test! - Apr 24, 2011
- Troubles continue to dog Advani's yatra in Madhya Pradesh - Oct 15, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh bypoll turns prestige issue for Congress, BJP - Jun 24, 2011
- Half of MCD wards go to women, male politicians jittery - Jan 28, 2012
- I also informed Antony on Tatra trucks: Jabalpur MP - Apr 05, 2012
- BJP wins one seat in Madhya Pradesh by-polls - Feb 17, 2011
- Congress's new Madhya Pradesh leaders attack BJP chief - Apr 28, 2011
- BJP to hold 'loan mela' for onions - Dec 22, 2010
- Ramdev crackdown: Attack on Digvijay's house - Jun 06, 2011
- BJP MP seeks mercy killing over inflation - Jun 27, 2011
- BJP protests petrol price hike in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: bhartiya janata party, bjp leaders, chief minister, council chairman, councillor, councilor, giri, mahila, media persons, mudslinging, prabhat jha, rakesh, saturday evening, seema, sexual favours, shrivastava, state chief, state leaders, state president, working committee