Opposition walks out of Bengal assembly on price riseJuly 2nd, 2012 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 2 (IANS) The opposition Left Front members Monday staged a walk-out from the West Bengal assembly in protest after an adjournment motion brought by them on spiralling prices was disallowed by the speaker.
Leader of Opposition and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) heavyweight Surjya Kanta Mishra, along with other Left Front members, proposed to bring in an adjournment motion with a view to engage in a dialogue on the rising prices of essential commodities.
But the motion was not allowed by Speaker Biman Bandyopadhyay, following which the opposition members trudged to the speaker’s podium shouting slogans, and later walked out of the house.
The members also wore garlands made of vegetables and carried posters condemning the government for its failure to control the sky rocketing prices.
“The state government has completely failed in checking the prices of essential commodities. Through the motion we wanted to discuss the issue and give our views, but the government does not want to hear us,” Mishra later told media persons.
Mishra accused the state government of violating assembly procedures and said the central government alone cannot be blamed for the rising prices.
“In the last few months, the electricity charges have been raised four times. Prices of milk, potato and other household items have been steadily rising. One cannot put the blame only on the centre, the state is equally responsible,” added Mishra.
- Green chilies, Mamata and the price war (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 07, 2012
- Mamata strips non-Trinamool panchayat heads of power - Mar 27, 2012
- Left walks out over newspaper ban, to meet Bengal governor - Mar 29, 2012
- Mamata has fear psychosis, says opposition - Jun 29, 2012
- Parties criticise bar on press meets in Bengal assembly - Feb 11, 2012
- Left leaders to meet Mamata to protest attacks - May 31, 2011
- Bengal bars media conference at the assembly, CPI-M objects - Feb 10, 2012
- Mamata trying to gag opposition: CPI-M - Feb 12, 2012
- Bengal opposition leader holds press meet on road - Feb 14, 2012
- Left pays homage to Jyoti Basu on the road (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Left pays homage to Jyoti basu on the road - Jul 08, 2012
- Mamata's 'poisoned water' allegation angers Left Front - Dec 24, 2011
- Trinamool trying to gag the opposition: CPI-M - Feb 19, 2012
- Will give due respect to opposition: West Bengal minister - May 21, 2011
- 'Corruption is policy of Omar government' - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: adjournment motion, assembly procedures, biman, central government, commodities, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dialogue, electricity charges, household items, leader of opposition, media persons, mishra, opposition members, podium, slogans, state government, vegetables, west bengal