Opposition to move adjournment motion on price riseNovember 17th, 2011 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 17 (IANS) The opposition Thursday announced it will move an adjournment motion on the issue of inflation on the opening day of the winter session of parliament Nov 22 even as the government expressed hope that its trouble shooter Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will bail it out.
“We will move the adjournment motion on price rise on the first day itself,” Communist Party of India leader Gurudas Dasgupta said after an all-party meeting convened by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar here Thursday.
His views were supported by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who is the leader of the Lok Sabha, would hold talks with the opposition parties prior to the session.
“All the issues will be discussed in the meeting,” said Soni.
Dasgupta charged the government with failing to keep its promise of taking effective steps to contain inflation.
He said the party would also oppose the government’s decision to allow 26 percent foreign direct investment in pension fund.
Sushma Swaraj said: “We would ask for a discussion on high food inflation.”
She said though party leader L.K. Advani had taken up a yatra to highlight the issue of black money, the party would also want a debate on the list of people who have deposited black money abroad.
Lalu Prasad too said he would take up the issue of price rise and the ongoing caste census.
Meira Kumar chaired the all-party meeting where the smooth conduct of the coming session was discussed, an official said.
The winter session Nov 22-Dec 21 is scheduled to take up the Lokpal bill and 30 other bills for passage.
- Opposition plans adjournment motion on price rise Tuesday - Nov 21, 2011
- Suggestion to stop House telecast during disruptions - Oct 21, 2010
- FDI roll back unlikely at all-party meeting - Nov 28, 2011
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
- Meira Kumar rejects Opposition demand for vote on price rise - Jul 28, 2010
- NDA to back Left in parliament over price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- All party meet soon to end FDI logjam: Bansal - Dec 05, 2011
- Winter session will generate heat for UPA (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 20, 2011
- All-party meeting called to end parliament stalemate - Dec 06, 2011
- For peace in parliament, FDI policy 'suspended' for now - Dec 07, 2011
- FDI war: Deadlock deepens, BJP rejects Congress truce offer (Intro Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- Opposition deliberately trying to derail Parliament session: Mukherjee - Jul 28, 2010
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over minister's Air India remarks - May 15, 2012
- FDI deadlock deepens, Advani rejects Pranab's offer - Nov 30, 2011
- House will function if government acts: BJP - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: adjournment motion, ambika soni, black money, communist party of india, dasgupta, finance minister, gurudas, india leader, janata party, l k advani, lalu prasad, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, opposition parties, pranab mukherjee, smooth conduct, sushma swaraj, trouble shooter, winter session