Opposition seek governor’s intervention over text bookAugust 31st, 2008 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 31 (IANS) The Congress-led opposition in Kerala Sunday said it was seeking Governor R.S. Gavai’s intervention after the government failed to revise a text book critics say is “anti-religion”.Speaking to reporters here, state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala said they would come out with a new publication on Sep 5, Teachers’ Day.
“It has been called ‘Padapusthakam Panipurayil’ and will include the final report of the (Congress-appointed) Text Book committee led by historian M.G.S. Narayanan. The publication will also include letters that Narayanan received after he was appointed by us,” said Chennithala.
The text book, according to the Congress and the Muslim and Christian communities, is “anti-religion” and promotes Communist ideology while distorting national history.
The government has appointed a committee led by historian K.N. Panicker to study the criticism.
“We will apprise the governor of the seriousness of the issue and request him to intervene,” said Chennithala.
- Achuthanandan resigns, Congress introspective (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Congress raises Bengal's law and order with governor - Nov 28, 2010
- Dara Shikoh, Aurangzeb misunderstood: Pakistani-American expert - Dec 30, 2011
- Curriculum panel to decide on Kerala text book - Jul 15, 2008
- Kerala to fast-track infrastructure projects: Governor - Jun 24, 2011
- Congress leaders ask Achuthanandan to withdraw school book - Jul 31, 2008
- Bengal governor clarifies 'paribartan' remark - May 30, 2012
- Congress complains to Bengal governor about law and order - Jul 17, 2012
- Is Mamata trying to make Marx & Engels history in Bengal? - Apr 06, 2012
- Governor, chief minister spar - nothing new for Bengal (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 29, 2012
- Wasn't aware Singur law needed president's nod: Narayanan Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Take strong action against rowdy students: Bengal governor - Jan 11, 2012
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Kerala may get a tribal woman minister - May 19, 2011