Opposition flays Mayawati for ‘breakdown of law and order’June 20th, 2011 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 20 (IANS) Lashing out at Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati for what they termed as “complete breakdown of law and order”, the state’s opposition parties Monday sought ouster of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government over rise in the number of rapes that had gone up to five in a day.
Blaming her for the prevailing insecurity across the state, the Samajwadi Party, Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) assailed Mayawati for the spate of rapes and other heinous crimes against women in the state.
“Mayawati has no moral right to stick on to her office even for a day. It is time that she stepped down herself or else she needs to be dismissed,” Samajwadi Party leader Shivpal Yadav said.
Congress spokesman Subodh Srivastava wondered how Mayawati could continue to boast of “reducing crimes against women in the state”.
Training his guns at the state women’s commission, he said: “Far from playing the role of a guardian of women, the state women’s commission has turned into an agent of the Mayawati government and has not even cared to react to the rising cases of rape.”
“Considering that the women’s commission is headed by the sister of a top BSP leader enjoying close proximity to the chief minister, we always knew that it was a defunct body,” he said, demanding it be disbanded
The Congress proposes to stage a day-long demonstration in the state capital during the first week of July to mark their protest against the growing crime against women.
Earlier, while flaying the Mayawati government, state BJP incharge Uma Bharti also threatened to organise state-wide demonstrations to protest the prevailing insecurity for women in the state.
- Uttar Pradesh opposition demands minister's sacking - Oct 20, 2011
- Mayawati wants stringent laws against rape - Jun 21, 2011
- BJP wants rape victims, kin to join sit-in - Jul 19, 2011
- Thousands of activists detained during protests: Samajwadi Party - Mar 07, 2011
- SP activists protest against BSP, baton-charged - Mar 07, 2011
- Minister flayed for saying officials can steal from state coffers - Aug 10, 2012
- UP set for hung house, SP on top, BSP out (Third Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Suspended BSP legislator joins Samajwadi Party - Aug 06, 2011
- BSP flays Rahul's 'double standards' - Jun 30, 2011
- Mayawati lauds, opposition flays her three years of rule (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Cow, poor, women would be our priority: Uma Bharti - Jul 21, 2011
- Congress holds massive protest in Lucknow - Jun 27, 2011
- Samajwadi workers clash with police, leaders detained (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- BSP to demonstrate against petrol price hike Tuesday - May 31, 2011
- BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hike - May 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,