Opposition campaign helped us get double funds this year: MayawatiJanuary 15th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 15 (IANS) Celebrating her birthday shorn of the frills normally associated with the event, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Thursday “thanked” the opposition parties for their “malicious campaign” against her, claiming her Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) had collected twice the funds this year than it did for her birthday in previous years.”I wish to thank all the opposition parties for the efforts made by them to malign the image of our party as it helped our workers to collect twice the donations that they collected last year on my birthday,” she said.
Mayawati, who turned 53 Thursday, expressed her condolences to the family members of those killed in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, saying: “It is to mourn those killed in the terror attack that celebrations will be low key this year and I will not even cut a cake”.
In her brief address to the media, she singled out the opposition Samajwadi Party (SP) and said that it was trying to make capital of the Auraiya episode in which Public Works Department engineer M.K. Gupta was beaten to death by BSP legislator Shekhar Tiwari last month.
“The SP tried to project in all possible ways that the murder was related to fund collections for my birthday but I had made it clear that it was not. All the accused, including the legislator, are behind the bars and will be strictly punished,” she said.
Mayawati said that the party will be organising rallies at all the 403 assembly constituencies where the party leaders would give a “befitting reply” to the opposition’s charges.
“Donations to the needy and poor will also be made across the country by our workers,” she said.
- Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party office - Jan 14, 2012
- Sarcastic Mayawati says opposition has made her richer (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- BSP fields more upper castes, Muslims in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 15, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- BSP-SP 'war' set to get shriller in times to come - May 21, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Mayawati steps down as UP chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Mayawati quits, warns against SP's hooliganism (Third Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- It is Mayawati vs all others in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 25, 2011
- Mayawati quits as UP chief minister (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Mayawati shelves birthday bash, but has gifts galore for poor (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Mayawati orders release of Banda rape victim - Jan 15, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011