Open to dialogue with militants: GogoiJanuary 24th, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 24 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Tuesday appealed to the anti-talks faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) led by Paresh Barua to join the ongoing peace process.
Speaking at a surrender ceremony in Assam’s main city of Guwahati where 676 militants laid down weapons in the presence of union Home Minister P. Chidambaram, Gogoi said: “Today again I appeal to Paresh Barua faction of the ULFA to join in the peace process. Our doors are open. Join in the peace process.”
“But we will deal firmly with those who continue to indulge in violence. We are going to be very hard against those who have taken a hard line. We are not going to tolerate militants taking law in their hands,” Gogoi added.
He welcomed the surrender of militants of nine outfits, saying it was a step forward in solving the three decade old insurgency in the state.
Lauding the central government’s support in combating militancy, Gogoi said that while 827 people, including civilians and security personnel, were killed in terrorism-related incidents in the state in 2000, only 28 civilians were killed last year.
- 700 militants surrender arms in Assam (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- 700 militants surrender arms in Assam - Jan 24, 2012
- Over 500 Assam militants to surrender Tuesday - Jan 23, 2012
- Militants ganging up with criminals, says Gogoi - May 18, 2012
- Will not be cowed down by ULFA threats: Gogoi - Feb 20, 2011
- Assam governor calls for peace - Jan 26, 2012
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- ULFA attack on Congress office injures three (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- ULFA, NDFB trying to create instability ahead of Assam polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Barua group gives ULFA 3 months to 'return to active duty' - Apr 30, 2012
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- ULFA attempt to disrupt Manmohan's visit foiled - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: assam, barua, central government, chief minister, civilians, decade, dialogue, faction, gogoi, insurgency, jan 24, p chidambaram, peace process, security personnel, surrender, tarun, ulfa, union home minister, united liberation front, violence