OPEC weekly price slides below $110 a barrelAugust 18th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, Aug 18 (Xinhua) The weekly average oil prices of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) dropped to $109.73 per barrel last week, the Vienna-based cartel said Monday. The prices have dropped for six consecutive trading weeks by $28.58 after they topped $138.31 in the first week of July.
The OPEC said in its monthly report Friday that the easing of political tensions and concerns over slower growth of demand amid weak economic signs were the main causes for the steep fall.
Other factors included a steep drop in oil demand in countries of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, the US in particular, as well as a rebound of the US dollar, the cartel said.
Iran’s OPEC governor Mohammad Ali Khatibi said Saturday that the oil market is oversupplied by at least one million barrels a day, so the group was considering reducing its output or keeping it unchanged if demand continues to fall.
Experts, however, have again emphasised the potential risks of political crises such as Iran’s nuclear issue and the armed conflicts in Georgia’s breakaway region of South Ossetia, adding that the upcoming OPEC meeting in September would lead the oil prices to a clear direction.
- OPEC oil price keeps fluctuating - Nov 08, 2011
- OPEC oil prices continue to rise - Mar 13, 2012
- OPEC expects increase in 2013 world crude oil demand - Jul 12, 2012
- OPEC oil price slides to $68.86 - Feb 09, 2010
- OPEC cartel faced with future risks in its 50th year - Sep 10, 2010
- OPEC daily basket price hits $97.34 per barrel - Jun 13, 2012
- Iran proposes OPEC to consider another oil cut - Nov 15, 2008
- Oil plummets on US negative credit outlook - Apr 19, 2011
- OPEC oil price remains below $70 - Jun 17, 2009
- OPEC oil price rises above $65 - Jul 22, 2009
- OPEC lowers demand outlook despite supply rise - May 13, 2009
- OPEC oil price rises above $70 - Jun 19, 2009
- OPEC oil price drops to 41.52 - Feb 04, 2009
- OPEC crude price slides below $42 - Mar 04, 2009
- OPEC oil price rises above $44 - Mar 11, 2009