Only 13 doctors punished under PNDT Act last yearAugust 3rd, 2011 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Only 13 doctors, with the majority from north India, were punished in 2010 under the Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (PNDT) Act that bans revealing the sex of the unborn child, parliament was told Wednesday.
Eleven punished doctors belonged to the northern states of Haryana, Punjab and Delhi while two were from Maharashtra, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said in an answer to a question by nominated member H.K. Dua in the Rajya Sabha.
Six doctors were from Haryana, three from Punjab and two from Maharashtra and Delhi each.
While those from Delhi were imposed fine, the others were sentenced to both imprisonment and fine.
The minister said several steps have been taken for effective implementation of the PNDT Act.
The Act has been amended to confiscate the diagnostic machines of those doctors who do not register under the law.
The national inspection and monitoring committee has been reconstituted and empowered to oversee follow-up action, he added.
- New advisory board on pre-natal tests to meet Wednesday - Apr 19, 2011
- Azad reconstitutes Central Supervisory Board under PNDT Act - Apr 09, 2011
- Advisory board on pre-natal tests re-jigged - Apr 09, 2011
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Haryana to install chips to monitor ultrasound machines - May 18, 2012
- Implement law against sex selection stringently: Azad - Sep 28, 2011
- 'Sex selection now spreads to Hayana's rural poor too' - Sep 02, 2011
- Haryana doctor held for sex determination test - Apr 20, 2011
- Court rejects plea on pre-natal test disclosures - Jun 21, 2011
- 23 Haryana doctors convicted for gender tests - Nov 24, 2010
- Haryana spearheads drive against female foeticide - Dec 12, 2009
- Maharashtra doctor couple in police custody till June 30 - Jun 18, 2012
- Activists slam device claiming to curb female foeticide - Dec 15, 2011
- 'Urgent need to restore gender balance in J&K;' - Jul 22, 2012
- Five Haryana doctors jailed for offering foetal sex tests - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: child parliament, diagnostic techniques, doctors, dua, ghulam nabi azad, haryana, health minister, implementation, imprisonment, monitoring committee, New Delhi, north india, northern states, parliament, pndt act, punjab, rajya sabha, several steps, unborn child