ONGC to start coalbed methane production in DecemberSeptember 1st, 2008 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 1 (IANS) Oil and Natural Gas Corp Ltd (ONGC) Monday announced it would begin its pilot production of coalbed methane (CBM) gas in Jharkhand from December.The pilot productions will start in Parbatpur areas of Jharia block, a company statement said.
The peak commercial production would be reached in 2011 with 400,000 cubic metres per day for the next 10 years.
This announcement was made by ONGC chairman R.S. Sharma during his visit to Bokaro Saturday.
Sharma had gone to oversee the on-going hi-tech horizontal multilateral well drilling at the Parbatpur site.
He said ONGC has already invested Rs.3 billion in the CBM project, with another Rs.15 billion lined up till 2011.
ONGC director (exploration) D.K. Pande said there was an estimated CBM resource of 240 billion cubic metres in Jharkhand.
Highlighting that “ONGC is not looking at commercial aspects at present”, Sharma appealed to the media to communicate the significance of CBM operations in the broader energy context of the nation and also to solve the local energy and economic requirements of Jharkhand.
- China's oil reserves went up 20 percent in 2011 - Feb 24, 2012
- Essar sets high target of methane extraction in Bengal - Aug 08, 2012
- ONGC inks pact with Australias Arrow Energy - Jan 14, 2009
- New estimates value Essar gas reserves at $4 billion - Mar 05, 2010
- Bengal may set up gas-based power plant - Aug 08, 2012
- ONGC strikes new natural gas field in Tripura - Dec 29, 2009
- Project on for developing catalyst to liquefy coal: Coal India - Sep 11, 2012
- KG basin gas output 31 percent lower - Aug 02, 2011
- Russia's Gazprom world's most profitable firm in 2011 - Jul 31, 2012
- Cabinet awards coal-bed methane gas blocks - Jun 24, 2010
- Shale gas extraction is fraught with problems - Nov 21, 2010
- ONGC strikes new gas field in Tripura - Mar 15, 2011
- Six firms keen to partner ONGC for Tripura fertilizer plant - Apr 12, 2012
- China to promote shale gas - Feb 13, 2012
- Oil blockade hits crude oil, natural gas production in Assam - Dec 24, 2009