One-year-old boy ‘marries’ dog for health and wealthMarch 24th, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, March 24 (IANS) Tribal residents of a slum in Orissa ‘married’ a 12-month-old boy to a dog in the hope that it will bring the boy prosperity and good health in the future. The ‘marriage’ was solemnised according to traditional rites Sunday at Munda Sahi in the coastal district of Jagatsinghpur, some 120 km from the state capital here.
A human couple performed the role of the parents of the ‘bride’.
The marriage started with an exchange of rings while the priests chanted mantras. The dog was dressed in a new yellow sari. The boy put a vermilion dot on her forehead and bangles on her legs.
The priests performed the rituals on an earthen dais, especially made for the occasion.
Father of the boy Radha Mohan Singh told IANS that the wedding followed an age-old tradition. “We perform such marriages after the first tooth of a child falls off,” he said.
“People of our community believe that if a child marries a canine after breaking his teeth, it will ensure him health and prosperity in the future,” he said. “After the marriage, the couple will stay in our home.”
While over a hundred villagers feasted after the occasion, dogs on the streets were fed bread.
Singh presented a radio, a silver ring and a chain to the dog and saris and clothes to designated parents of the ‘bride’.
“I am happy that this ritual will bring prosperity to my son,” the child’s mother Gita Singh said.
- Hindus feel Brand-Perry marriage 'moving in right direction' - Oct 22, 2010
- Japanese couple weds Hindu style in Bodh Gaya - Sep 24, 2010
- (After 12) Cash registers jingle as foreigners wed in Rajasthan - Nov 02, 2010
- In Gurgaon's shadow, child marriages thrive (Feature) - Apr 11, 2010
- Child marriage common among Indian workers - Jul 18, 2010
- Gay couple in UP on run after marrying - Apr 13, 2012
- UP devotees celebrate beginning of Hindu New Year - Apr 04, 2011
- Varun Gandhi ties the knot, aunt Sonia misses ceremony (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- In Holy Varanasi, Get frogs married, pray for rain ! - Jun 24, 2010
- Japanese weds Islamic style in Bihar - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Bhai Dooj' celebrated with fervour and enthusiasm - Oct 19, 2009
- Delhi government clears marriage registration bill - May 21, 2012
- Karva Chauth continues to captivate Indian women (Lead) - Oct 07, 2009
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- 126 couples in Bengal tie knot at mass wedding - Jul 01, 2012