‘One terrorist killed at Trident had Mauritius ID card’November 29th, 2008 - 1:28 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 28 (IANS) One of the three terrorists killed by crack Indian commandos at the Oberoi Trident Hotel Friday carried a Mauritius identity card, said a senior official, adding that the terrorists were “very familiar” with the layout of the super luxury hotel. The terrorists, who stormed the hotel Wednesday night, also had the credit cards of major foreign banks.
“These people (terrorists) were very familiar with the hotel layout, and appeared to have carried out several reccees,” said a top official of the marine commandos, also known as Marcos, after the hotel was cleared Friday afternoon.
The terrorists’ familiarity with the hotel topography went against the security personnel, who had to go through each of the Trident’s 540 rooms to tackle the terrorists.
The Trident has 34 floors.
The terrorists were a “very determined, remorseless lot”, the official said.
Asked by reporters if he could say what nationality the terrorists belonged to, he said he could not comment on that.
He said the men were “not hugely built”.
The terrorists were firing and lobbing grenades from different places at the same time, making it difficult for the commandos to move down the corridors and tackle them.
- Terrorists were 'remorseless', well trained: commandos (Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Oberoi Group denies reports on P.R.S Oberoi's successor - Apr 12, 2011
- 26/11 hero glad his ayurveda treatment approved - Jul 22, 2011
- Oberoi Group opens hotel in Gurgaon - Apr 12, 2011
- Terrorists were trained, knew hotel layout: commandos - Nov 28, 2008
- As world watches, Mumbai terror kills 148, enters final phase (Night Lead) - Nov 29, 2008
- 26/11, a grim reminder of our perilous neighbourhood: Antony - Nov 26, 2010
- Terror denouement begins as Oberoi cleared, Pranab points to Pakistan (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Commandos set to end terror drama in Mumbai, 143 dead (Evening Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Terrorists knew Taj hotel layout too well: NSG chief (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2008
- EIH sees traction in revenues, apprehends pressure on margins - Aug 24, 2010
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- East India Hotels plans tie-up with RIL - Aug 10, 2011
- Chidambaram pays tribute to 26/11 martyrs - Nov 26, 2010
- Terrorists knew Taj hotel layout too well: NSG chief (Lead) - Nov 30, 2008