One student killed, 35 injured in college building collapse (Lead)September 20th, 2008 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 20 (IANS) One student was killed and 35 were injured when a portion of a college building collapsed near here Saturday.The parapet wall on the third floor of the Narayana residential junior college for boys collapsed in the afternoon, killing one student, the police said.
The accident took place at Changicherla in neighbouring Ranga Reddy district, about 20 km from here. Initial reports had put the toll at three.
The wall fell on the students during the lunch-break and some of them fell into a septic tank. The injured were shifted to a private hospital, where condition of two students was critical.
“A portion of the three-storeyed building was still under construction and the heavy rains over the last few days might have weakened the wall,” an official said.
As news of the mishap spread, anxious parents rushed to the college and were frantically searching for their wards. Some of them raised slogans against the college management and ransacked the office.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy directed the education department officials to conduct a probe and submit a report to him at the earliest.
- Three students killed, 35 injured in college building collapse - Sep 20, 2008
- Portion of Rajasthan University's science wing collapses - Jul 05, 2012
- Pakistan building collapse toll reaches 10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Five injured in Kolkata building collapse - Feb 03, 2011
- One dead, 12 hurt in Pakistan building collapse - Mar 24, 2012
- Himachal building collapse: Owner booked - Jul 11, 2011
- Building collapses in Chhattisgarh city, none hurt - Dec 14, 2010
- Building collapses in Hyderabad, 10 feared trapped - Feb 05, 2010
- One killed in Mumbai balcony collapse - May 02, 2012
- Seven killed in Hyderabad building collapse (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2010
- Building collapses in Faridabad, five trapped - Sep 09, 2009
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- Lahore factory collapse toll reaches 22 - Feb 09, 2012
- 5 killed in Uttar Pradesh cracker blasts - Apr 23, 2012