One killed, thousands displaced in Assam floodsSeptember 10th, 2010 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Sep 10 (IANS) At least one person was killed and 30,000 displaced in flash floods triggered by heavy rains in Assam’s Lakhimpur district. A vast stretch of the internationally-famed Kaziranga National Park has been inundated, officials said Friday.
A government spokesperson said floodwaters of Drupang and Sessa rivers, both tributaries of the Brahmaputra river, entered at least 40 villages and forced residents to take shelter on higher ground and railway tracks.
“There has been a breach of about 20 to 30 metres in two embankments and that led to floodwaters entering settlements,” a district official said.
“One person drowned while trying to escape the surging floodwaters,” he added.
Measures are being taken to plug the breaches in the mud embankments.
“We have sounded maximum alert and have already kept disaster management teams on standby. We are also taking stock of essentials and other commodities in the district,” the official added.
The 2,906-km-long Brahmaputra is one of Asia’s largest rivers and traverses its first stretch of 1,625 km in China’s Tibet region, the next 918 km in India and the remaining 363 km through neighbouring Bangladesh before flowing into the Bay of Bengal.
- 50,000 displaced in Assam floods - Aug 21, 2010
- Assam floods displace 50,000 people - Apr 22, 2010
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- First wave of floods hit Assam - Mar 25, 2010
- 100,000 displaced by floods in Assam, 100 villages hit - Apr 23, 2010
- 10 killed, thousands displaced in northeast floods - Sep 12, 2010
- Difficult to verify Chinese activities on Brahmaputra: Minister - Jul 03, 2011
- Keep an eye on China's dam plan, says Khursheed - Apr 04, 2011
- Floods wreak havoc in Assam, 200,000 displaced - Jul 03, 2009
- 'India keeping watch on China's Brahmaputra plans' - Jun 14, 2011
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- India taking up China dam issue: Arunachal minister - Aug 11, 2010
- One killed, 400,000 displaced in Assam floods - Jul 05, 2009
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- Tripura Congress protests China's plans of dam over Brahmaputra - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: assam floods, bay of bengal, brahmaputra river, breach, breaches, commodities, disaster management, embankments, flash floods, government spokesperson, heavy rains, higher ground, management teams, maximum alert, mud, neighbouring, sessa, taking stock, tibet region, tributaries