One killed in ship explosion at Port BlairJune 12th, 2008 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 12 (IANS) One person was killed and four crewmen were seriously injured in a massive explosion on an Indian cargo vessel at Port Blair, it was announced Thursday. According to an announcement by the director general of shipping, the owners of the vessel, M.V. Bay Island, had informed the Indian authorities that the blast occurred in the air-conditioning compartment Tuesday.
The ship was anchored at Haddo Jetty in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The ship’s second engineer was killed.
The chief engineer officer, a workshop assistant and two other employees were injured.
- India opens new naval base overlooking Malacca Strait - Jul 31, 2012
- Ship with 21 Indian crewmen aboard released - Jan 14, 2012
- Sugar deal lured Korean ship to India - Aug 18, 2009
- Andaman Nicobar islands to have more airbases - Feb 05, 2010
- Efforts on to douse fire in cargo ship off Mumbai, no casualties - Sep 10, 2012
- No nuke materials on detained North Korean ship, says scientists - Aug 14, 2009
- Two Russians taken hostage by Nigerian pirates - Mar 01, 2012
- India to keep an eye on Malacca Straits with new naval base - Jul 10, 2012
- 30 rescued from sinking cargo ship off Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Coast guard rescue 30 crewmen from sinking ship (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Cargo ship sinks off Mumbai, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Cabinet approves to declare Andaman and Nicobar set of ports as major port - Mar 04, 2010
- India to up defences in Andamans, Lakshadweep - Jun 27, 2011
- India gets hawk eye over Strait of Malacca - Jul 30, 2012
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011