One killed in fight over balloon in West Bengal townNovember 12th, 2008 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 12 (IANS) An altercation among children over a balloon led to a scuffle between their grandmothers in a West Bengal town. The same evening, one of the women, a Trinamool Congress activist, was attacked by a group of teenagers following which she succumbed to her injuries at a hospital here, the police said Wednesday.The incident took place in Naihati town of North 24 Parganas district, about 40 km from here.
“Rupa Das, 50, a Trinamool activist at Naihati town, went to the park with her grandchildren in the evening of Oct 31. Her neighbour, Gita Mallick, a Communist Party of India-Marxist activist, was also present there with her grandchildren.
“The kids of both women started fighting with each other over a balloon that ended in a scuffle between the duo,” a police official at Naihati police station, requesting anonymity, told reporters Wednesday.
The official said Das lodged a complaint against Mallick Nov 1 at Naihati police station.
“The same evening eight youths, within the age group of 16-18 years, broke into Das’s house with Mallick and started beating her with sticks and wooden planks. There are allegations that even Mallick hit Das against a wall repeatedly,” the official said.
Das was admitted to Naihati State General Hospital with severe head, back and abdominal injuries.
“But as her condition deteriorated, Das was taken to NRS hospital in Kolkata. She died Tuesday night,” said the official.
The official said Mallick as well as the eight youths were absconding since early Wednesday.
- Buddhadeb visits kin of youth killed by sister's abusers - Feb 16, 2011
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Two arrested for beating doctor protesting girl's harassment - Sep 05, 2012
- India-Pakistan match halts Bengal poll campaign - Mar 30, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 80 percent turnout in Bengal (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 75 percent turnout in Bengal (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Mob attacks police team in Bengal, 11 cops injured - Nov 20, 2010
- Union minister's son held for assaulting poll officials - Apr 17, 2011
- Women loses foetus in assault, CPI-M blames Trinamool - Nov 20, 2011
- Apex court orders Soni Sori's medical checkup in Kolkata - Oct 20, 2011
- Trinamool's opposition to petrol hike meaningless: Biman Bose - Nov 09, 2011
- Youth arrested for murder - Jun 17, 2011
- Bengal police official thrashed by villagers - May 23, 2011
- Union minister's son held for attacking poll officials (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Kidnapped girl freed in Bengal, abductor held - May 14, 2012