One killed in clash over Rajoana, curfew in Gurdaspur (Lead)March 29th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Gurdaspur (Punjab), March 29 (IANS) Curfew was imposed here Thursday after one person was killed and another received bullet injuries when police fired to break up a clash between two communities over the fate of Balwant Singh Rajoana, on death row for the 1995 assassination of then chief minister Beant Singh.
Jaspal Singh, 18 was killed in this north Punjab town, about 200 km from the state capital Chandigarh, in the firing by police. Another person, who was shot in the chest, was being rushed to Amritsar, 50 km away, for treatment.
The clash between two groups, one from the Shiv Sena and another involving local Sikh organisations, took place in the presence of police over the hanging of the Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) terrorist, whose death sentence was stayed by the central government Wednesday.
Police sources said Shiv Sena members wanted to burn an effigy of Rajoana but the other group objected, triggering a clash. Police intervened with canes and then fired in the air. It also opened fire at the mob, resulting in the death of the teenager, police said.
A few people also received injuries.
Senior district officials were incommunicado after the incident, that led to tension in the area.
Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh condemned the incident and condoled the death of the youth.
“This government seems to be trapped between inaction and overreaction,” he remarked, pointing out that the Punjab government either takes no action or resorts to overreaction, thus complicating the matter further.
The All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) also sought a judicial probe into the clash and the the killing of the youth.
AISSF president Karnail Singh Peer Mohammad said while the government was trying to save Rajoana, other youth were getting killed in the state.
He sought a ban on the Shiv Sena in Punjab.
- Curfew continues in Gurdaspur, Badal orders probe - Mar 30, 2012
- A life lost, tense days as leaders play politics (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 30, 2012
- Officials shifted in Punjab's Gurdaspur after violence - Mar 31, 2012
- Tight security across Punjab ahead of Rajoana hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Punjab jailor wants Sikh terrorist's death warrant deferred - Mar 26, 2012
- Shutdown hits Punjab, Rajoana appeals for calm (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Question mark over hanging of BKI terrorist Rajoana (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- Kashmiri Sikhs protest against Rajoana's hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Patiala jailor again refuses to accept Rajoana's death warrant (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Centre stays Rajoana hanging, Punjab leaders welcome it (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2012
- SGPC wants president to grant clemency to Sikh terrorist - Mar 26, 2012
- Halt execution, says Human Rights Watch - Mar 28, 2012
- Rajoana to hang Saturday, rules court (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: amarinder singh, babbar khalsa, balwant singh, central government, chandigarh, chief minister, congress chief, curfew, death sentence, district officials, effigy, inaction, jaspal singh, judicial probe, overreaction, police sources, punjab government, shiv sena, sikh organisations, sikh students