One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead)July 23rd, 2012 - 11:03 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 23 (IANS) At least one person was killed and several injured late Sunday when communal violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly district, police said Monday. Curfew has been clamped in the city.
Trouble erupted when some Muslims objected to music being played by the Kanwariyas or the Shiv devotees who were returning from Haridwar.
Outraged, the Kanwariyas resorted to violence, vandalized shops and public property and set on fire many vehicles in the Jogi Navada locality, a police officer said.
One person was killed in the firing in Math Chowki area.
According to police, at least two dozen people were injured in the violence that broke out in many parts of the city and continued past midnight.
Hundreds of people emerged from their houses in Shahdana area while a police team was attacked in Azamnagar.
Many policemen, including the superintendent of police (SP), were injured in the stone pelting.
Police lobbed tear gas shells at the mobs but could not contain the violence.
Senior police officials, including the Additional Director General of Police Jag Mohan Yadav, rushed to Bareilly early Monday morning to contain violence and restore normalcy.
The Bareilly district administration has clamped curfew in the city.
Soldiers of the provincial armed constabulary have been deployed at several sensitive localities, an official told IANS.
- Bareilly violence kills one, curfew on - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Moradabad (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Moradabad curfew to be relaxed for 16 hours - Aug 16, 2011
- No curfew for 18 hours in Moradabad now - Aug 18, 2011
- Curfew lifted from Uttar Pradesh city - Aug 21, 2011
- Curfew relaxed for nine hours in Moradabad - Aug 13, 2011
- BJP leaders held on way to strife-hit Bareilly in UP - Aug 25, 2012
- Curfew in parts of Bareilly after communal violence - Aug 17, 2010
- 36 arrested for Bareilly riots - Aug 18, 2010
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Mathura communal clashes kill one (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: bareilly district, city soldiers, communal violence, constabulary, curfew, devotees, district administration, district police, early monday morning, gas shells, jogi, mobs, mohan, normalcy, pelting police, police officials, police team, policemen, uttar pradesh, yadav