One killed, hundreds injured in Madhya Pradesh ritualSeptember 1st, 2008 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Sep 1 (IANS) One person was killed and over 400 injured as villagers pelted stones at each other as part of an annual ritual in memory of two lovers in Chhindwara district of Madhya Pradesh, police said.Men from Pandhurna and Sawargaon villages, located on opposite banks of the river Jam in Chhindwara district, about 400 km from here, threw stones at each other during the festival known as Gotmar, which was observed Sunday.
The festival is celebrated every year on the day after the new moon in Bhadrapad month of the Hindu calendar. This year, several youths from Maharashtra also participated in the event.
Officials said the district administration had managed to contain injuries by urging the villagers to use rubber balls instead of stones. However, locals said that after initially using the balls, the villagers started pelting stones.
Chhindwara Additonal Superintendent of Police Amit Sanghvi said over 400 people had been injured in the festival and one of them, Gajanand, had died.
There are many stories about the origin of the fair but the most popular is that a youth of Pandura village was trying to elope with his lover from Savargaon when the residents of both the hamlets started throwing stones at each other, resulting in the death of the lovers. The fair is held every year in their memory.
At the end of the day, over 5,000 participants go to the temple of goddess Chandi, who the villagers believe heals their wounds. They apply sacred ash on their wounds and later visit the temple of Lord Krishna and his consort Radha.
- Human rights body bans Madhya Pradesh stone pelting ritual - Aug 20, 2009
- Villagers organise age-old stone pelting festival in Madhya Pradesh - Aug 22, 2009
- Despite ban, Madhya Pradesh stone pelting ritual continues - Aug 21, 2009
- Madhya Pradesh stone pelting ritual continues, 48 hurt (Lead) - Aug 21, 2009
- Unique Himachal ritual: Pelting stones to appease goddess - Nov 06, 2010
- Devotees in Shimla participate in stone pelting festival - Nov 07, 2010
- Three dead as police fire on mob in Tamil Nadu - Sep 11, 2011
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Another farmer commits suicide in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 11, 2011
- For Kashmiri Hindus and Muslims, Shivratri bridges a gap - Feb 20, 2012
- Official, six policemen injured in Rajasthan communal clash - Feb 26, 2012
- Caste council strips, beats woman, paramour in Rajasthan - Jul 23, 2012
- Foundation stone laid for CII's industrial training centre - Mar 10, 2011
- 400,000 take holy dip as Gangasagar Fair ends - Jan 15, 2012
- Jayalalithaa orders inquiry into police firing - Sep 12, 2011