One killed, five injured in Holi revellers’ clashesMarch 11th, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Mar 11 (IANS) One person died and five people were injured in clashes among Holi revellers here Wednesday.
At Kashipur in the northern part of the city, one person died and three others sustained injuries when bombs were hurled by a rival group while playing Holi, the police said.
The injured have been admitted to the R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital.
In South Kolkata’s Tollygunge, two people were injured in a clash between youths of two neighbouring localities.
“The trouble (in Tollygunge) started after youths of one locality tried to smear colour on a youth from the other locality. This triggered the clashes in which bombs were hurled,” said acting Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) of city police S.K. Gajmer.
Four people have been arrested following the clash.
The situation was under control but tension prevailed in both areas where Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel were deployed, with the police conducting patrols.
- Over 20 injured in Bengal clash over INTUC leader's killing - Aug 15, 2012
- Clashes over road construction at Posco site, one killed - Dec 14, 2011
- United colours of Holi splash India (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- Riot-hit area of Ahmedabad peaceful - May 28, 2010
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- Four IT employees killed in Bengal accident - Mar 26, 2011
- Communal clash leaves one dead, 10 injured - Aug 31, 2011
- Army stages flag march in Deganga - Sep 08, 2010
- Colours of gulal, and taste of gujiya - Holi Hai! - Mar 20, 2011
- Curfew in Kashmir village after clashes - Aug 07, 2012
- Delhi revels peacefully in Holi colours (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Two killed in Kolkata as rival groups clash - Oct 05, 2010
- Two injured in West Bengal as clashes mar strike (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Two killed as CPI-M, Trinamool clash in Bengal - Sep 04, 2011
- One killed in violent anti-demolition protests in Ranchi (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011