One killed at metro site, DMRC says nothing major (Lead)July 22nd, 2009 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) A 22-year-old labourer was crushed to death when a steel beam fell on him at a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) site in west Delhi Wednesday, just 10 days after six people were killed at another metro construction site. However, the corporation said the latest accident was not “major”.
The incident took place at the under-construction Ashok Park metro station in west Delhi at about 5.45 a.m. The station is part of the upcoming Inderlok-Mundka line.
According to DMRC officials, Vicky Singh, a construction worker, was guiding a crane when he was hit by the steel beam that was being lifted by the crane.
“The beam hit the worker on his shoulder, causing an injury. He was rushed to the hospital but he expired,” said DMRC spokesperson Anuj Dayal.
“Let me clarify that it was not a major accident, but there was a casualty. There is a tendency for a big reaction when it is anything to do with the metro,” he added.
The chief project manager of the DMRC and other officials are investigating the accident and a first information report (FIR) has been lodged, Dayal said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Sharad Agarwal told IANS that the victim was a resident of Uttar Pradesh. After the accident, he was rushed to the Maharaja Agrasen hospital where doctors declared him “dead on arrival”.
“Things are completely normal in the area. There was no traffic disruption following the accident,” said Agarwal.
The metro has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons.
On July 12, six people were killed after an elevated section of the Delhi Metro that was under construction in south Delhi collapsed. A day later, five people were injured in another accident at the same site.
- One killed at Delhi Metro site, third accident in 10 days (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2009
- Another accident at Delhi Metro site, one killed (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2009
- Catch the last Metro ride at 8 p.m. on Diwali - Nov 03, 2010
- Metro worker dies after falling at under construction track - Nov 23, 2008
- Delhi Metro begins trial runs on new standard gauge line - Jul 29, 2009
- Metro service to end at 8 p.m. Diwali (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Two cranes fall at Delhi Metro construction site, none injured (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Delhi Metro orders independent safety audit for Phase II works - Jul 14, 2009
- Delhi Metro bags national award in non-film category - Mar 07, 2012
- Joyride in Metro for young cancer patients - Jul 12, 2011
- Delhi Metro to open Inderlok-Mundka line in March - Feb 21, 2010
- Metro services to close three hours before time on Diwali day - Nov 03, 2010
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Labourer killed at Jaipur Metro construction site - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: ashok, chief project, commissioner of police, construction site, construction worker, dead on arrival, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, deputy commissioner, information report, labourer, maharaja, major accident, metro construction, metro station, sharad agarwal, south delhi, steel beam, traffic disruption, west delhi