One killed as police fires on mob in BiharDecember 15th, 2008 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Dec 15 (IANS) One person was killed Monday and two were seriously injured when police in Bihar’s Sitamarhi town fired at a crowd which was protesting the killing of a businessman.Hundreds of protesters took to the streets in Sitamarhi, about 200 km from here, to vent their ire against the killing of Anil Kumar, a businessman in his 20s who was shot dead Sunday night by unidentified criminals while he was on his way home after closing his showroom.
According to a relative, Kumar was killed because he was refusing to pay extortion money to a gangster.
The killing led to protesters attacking a police vehicle and setting ablaze a police station.
According to official sources in the district administration, police opened fire to disperse the mob resulting in one person being killed and two being critically wounded.
Additional police forces have been deployed in the town and the administration has appealed for peace.
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- Bihar custody death triggers protests - Jan 15, 2012
- Three troopers arrested in Bihar - May 27, 2012
- Violence after car in minister's fleet injures student - Feb 25, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Bihar MP gets Rs.50 lakh extortion demand - May 30, 2011
- Businessman shot dead in Patna - Mar 03, 2012
- Bihar MP again gets extortion message - Jun 04, 2011
- Ranvir Sena chief shot dead; Bihar put on alert (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Two dead as Mumbai protest against Myanmar killings turns violent (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Bihar minister gets Rs.20 lakh extortion demand - Mar 22, 2011
- Ranvir Sena chief killed, curfew imposed on Bihar town (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012