One killed as police fire on mob in OrissaMarch 22nd, 2009 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 22 (IANS) At least one man was killed and several people injured as police opened fire on a mob which attacked a police station and set fire to vehicles in Orissa’s Dhenkanal district Sunday, a police official said.
Protesting the mysterious death of a school student, nearly 400 people in Bhuban town, 110 km from the state capital, attacked the police station, set fire to police vehicles and attacked policemen, the official said.
The body of Bimalendu Nayak, a class ten student, was found in a pond at district headquarters, Dhenkanal, some 80 km away from Bhuban.
Dhenkanal police chief S.K. Gajbhiye told IANS that people in the town suspected it to be a case of murder and demanded immediate arrest of the culprits. The mob pelted stones at the police station and set fire to vehicles.
“Police tried to disperse the mob by resorting to a baton-charge but it did not work. Police were forced to opened fire,” he said.
While one man died on the spot, ten others sustained injuries in the firing. Curfew has been imposed in the town and additional police deployed as the situation continued to be tense.
- Judicial probe ordered into Orissa police firing - Mar 23, 2009
- Judicial probe ordered into Orissa firing case - Mar 23, 2009
- Mob attacks, torches police station in Bihar - Oct 15, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Bihar custody death triggers protests - Jan 15, 2012
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- 11 injured in Kolkata violence - Nov 07, 2011
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Clashes in Uttar Pradesh over principal's death - Oct 22, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Police post torched during protest - Nov 02, 2011
- Train kills three teenagers - Sep 07, 2010