One killed, 175 injured as tornado hits TripuraMay 1st, 2012 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 1 (IANS) A farmer was killed and 175 injured in Tripura when a tornado, accompanied by rain and hailstorm, hit the state, destroying more than 1,000 houses, uprooting trees and disrupting communication, officials said Tuesday.
Authorities have stepped up efforts to provide relief to those affected by the tornado that struck late Monday. The injured comprise children, women and elderly people.
“Of the 175 injured, the condition of 60 people is stated to be serious. They are being treated in different government hospitals and Gobinda Ballav Pant Medical college and hospital here,” Sipahijala District Magistrate Krishna Dulal Choudhury told reporters.
A 60-year-old farmer was electrocuted when live electrical wires snapped by the cyclonic storm struck him at Dharmanagar in northern Tripura, 195 km north of here.
The district administration has opened three relief camps at Bishalgarh in western Tripura, 30 km south of here, for the affected people.
The seasonal Nor’wester accompanied by rains and hailstorm also damaged more than 1,000 houses and killed livestock.
Hundreds of trees, telephone and electric poles have been uprooted, affecting the movement of vehicles.
“Civil defence workers and district officials are busy providing relief. Officials are trying to restore communication lines and power supplies,” the official said.
At least 11 people have died in storms and lightning strikes in Tripura in April.
- Squalls, hailstorm kill seven in Tripura - Apr 10, 2012
- Three killed in Tripura rainstorm - Apr 29, 2012
- Storm kills three, damages many houses in Tripura - Apr 08, 2012
- Cyclonic storm kills three, damages 1,000 houses in Tripura - May 17, 2010
- Hailstorm damages houses, crops in northeast India - Mar 30, 2010
- Squalls affect power, transport in Mizoram, Tripura - May 26, 2011
- Three killed in Tripura cyclone - May 03, 2012
- Cyclonic storm kills four in Tripura - Apr 22, 2010
- Storm kills four, damages many houses in Tripura - Jun 04, 2010
- Cyclonic storm kills seven, damages 16,000 houses - Apr 01, 2010
- Hailstorm kills child, damages hundreds of houses in Manipur - Apr 23, 2010
- Lightning kills five in Tripura - Apr 29, 2010
- Four killed, over 20 injured in Assam thunderstorm - Apr 14, 2010
- Sixteen dead, 50,000 displaced as rains lash northeast (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2010
- Storm toll rises to 128, victims say relief inadequate (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: agartala, civil defence, communication lines, cyclonic storm, district administration, district magistrate, district officials, electric poles, electrical wires, government hospitals, hailstorm, krishna, lightning strikes, livestock, medical college, pant, relief camps, relief officials, storms, tornado hits