One killed, 16 missing in China subway tunnel cave-inNovember 15th, 2008 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 15 (Xinhua) One person was killed and 16 were missing after a road caved in on a subway tunnel under construction in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou Saturday, officials and witnesses said.Nineteen people were taken to hospital, a spokesman with the rescue headquarters said.
Witnesses and rescuers earlier said at least 50 people were trapped underground, but the exact number was yet to be known. They are believed to be mostly construction workers.
Zhu Juzhong, a 56-year-old worker from the Sichuan province who was being treated for his injuries at a city hospital, said: “There is some distance between where I was working and the cave-in site. Lots of workers immediately rushed to the hoist to be lifted above ground.”
“Some colleagues who moved slowly were buried,” he said.
About 30 workers managed to escape on the hoist, and three fell from the hoist during the rush, he added.
At least 13 vehicles were also trapped in a 75-meter-long and 15-meter-deep crater following the cave-in, which occurred at about 3:15 p.m.
According to witnesses, a bus carrying 37 passengers was also trapped at the site, but all the passengers were brought to safety by rescuers.
Meanwhile, water from a river flowing beside the cave-in site entered into the tunnel, and the water level was rising.
Provincial Governor Lu Zushan has arrived at the site to oversee the rescue operation.
About 2,000 rescuers are struggling to pump water out of the tunnel and haul the vehicles from the crater. Three vehicles had been pulled out by 8:45 p.m.
- Three killed, 19 trapped in China coal mine cave-in - Jul 02, 2011
- Miners' rescue will take months, says Chile - Aug 24, 2010
- Rescue work continues for 19 trapped miners in China - Jul 03, 2011
- All 12 miners trapped in northeast China rescued alive - Jul 19, 2011
- Three die in Peru mining accident - Mar 03, 2012
- Six Palestinians killed in Gaza tunnel blast - May 29, 2010
- Seven trapped Chinese miners found alive - Nov 19, 2011
- Five die in China mine collapse - Sep 25, 2011
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- Worker rescued 55 hours after Jalandhar factory collapse - Apr 18, 2012
- Movie chronicling ordeal of 33 trapped Chilean miners in the making - Dec 06, 2010
- Drill mishap delays Chilean mine rescue - Sep 23, 2010
- Trapped dogs survive after six days in 20ft hole - Jun 03, 2011
- Hopes recede of finding survivors in collapsed Punjab factory (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Heavy snow kills 28 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010