One injured as protesters set Congress office on fireFebruary 28th, 2009 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 28 (IANS) One person was injured as activists of a group, protesting Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s visit to Andhra Pradesh, set fire to the party headquarters here Saturday.
The incident took place when Gandhi was addressing a public meeting at Secunderabad Parade Grounds.
The police said some activists of Madiga Reservation Porata Samiti (MRPS) barged into Gandhi Bhavan, located in Nampally in the heart of the city, and set fire to office records and furniture.
One office attendant, who was caught in the fire, suffered burn injuries and was admitted to a hospital.
MRPS activists, including women, also tried to disrupt the public meeting but were arrested by the police. The protesters threw chairs and raised slogans in support of their demands.
The MRPS earlier announced plans to disrupt Gandhi’s programme to press for their long-pending demand that the community be categorised as among the backward classes to benefit from emloyment and other reservations.
Madigas, a backward class community, want to ensure that they enjoy reservations in proportion to their population. The MRPS claims that Malas, another backward class community, was cornering all the reservation benefits.
The MRPS has been demanding that the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government should bring a legislation to help fulfill the community’s demand.
- Protester injured during attack on Congress office dies - Mar 01, 2009
- Caste conundrum: Andhra to send delegation to Delhi - Dec 05, 2010
- Protester injured in attack on Congress office dies - Mar 06, 2009
- Security personnel injured in attack on Congress office dies - Mar 04, 2009
- Protests continue for Telangana - Feb 22, 2010
- Caste outfit turns into political party in Andhra Pradesh - Mar 09, 2009
- Praja Rajyam Party legislators protest baton charge on social activists in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2010
- Shutdown by Dalit groups in Andhra - Jan 30, 2012
- Protestors storm Andhra Pradesh assembly - Feb 04, 2009
- Dalit group seeks action against Andhra home minister - Dec 24, 2011
- Dalit group wants seat share from Andhra opposition alliance - Mar 18, 2009
- Congress MP, hundreds attend Kishenji cremation - Nov 27, 2011
- Gadkari flags off Telangana yatra - Jan 19, 2012
- Jat agitators block rail in Haryana - Mar 14, 2011
- For Jat chief minister, handling Jats becomes a problem (Haryana Newsletter) - Mar 02, 2012