One in 10 UK parents sleep apart at baby’s birthMay 16th, 2011 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 16 (IANS) One in 10 parents sleep separately after their first baby’s birth and more than a third sleep apart at some time during the first year to ensure a decent night’s rest.
With more women returning to the work place, parents are increasingly sharing work and caring responsibilities, which means they both need to get a good night’s sleep.
The survey of 2,000 couples looked at parents’ sleep patterns following childbirth. The findings revealed a shift in parental involvement with a growing number of fathers getting up in the night to care for their baby.
Three out of five attend to their child if it cries or is in distress during the night and a third of couples said they take it in turns, the Daily Mail reports.
Across Britain couples managed varying amounts of sleep. Manchester parents topped the poll with an impressive eight hours, while in Birmingham they got a healthy seven hours.
Stressed-out Londoners scraped by on just three-and-a-half hours a night.
- Parents lose 6 months' sleep in first 2yrs after baby's birth - Jul 23, 2010
- Pediatrics journal publishes the results of the 'Baby Sleep' study - Oct 26, 2010
- Second abandoned infant found in Gurgaon in a week - Apr 18, 2012
- Crying babies may face risk of brain damage - Apr 24, 2010
- Mums' sleep quality during babies' 1st months not good enough: Study - Sep 01, 2010
- Working mothers interrupt sleep to take care of others - Nov 17, 2010
- Home temperature and sleep loss linked to obesity - Feb 25, 2011
- Britons cut sleeping hour during recession - May 28, 2010
- Gender differences in sleep interruptions revealed - Nov 17, 2010
- Sleeping pills harmful in long run - Aug 10, 2012
- Four Britons held guilty of murdering Asian man - Nov 12, 2011
- Kids may be killing your marital joy - Jul 03, 2012
- Expectant mums' sleep beliefs affect babies' nights later - Sep 06, 2009
- Pediatrics Journal Publishes Surprising Baby Sleep Study - Oct 26, 2010
- Want to sleep better? Switch off laptops, TVs an hour before bed - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,