One-horned rhino poached in AssamJuly 2nd, 2012 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 2 (IANS) Forest officials of Kaziranga National Park have recovered a carcass of a one-horned rhino from neighbouring hills in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district.
The horn of the rhino is missing and it is suspected that the rhino was poached, the officials said.
“The rhino came out of the park territory searching for food and elevated ground as the park has been over-flooded,” said a senior official of the park and added that the poachers took advantage of the situation and killed the animal.
“We have also recovered some exhausted bullets from the area. Preliminary investigation said that the rhino was killed at least two days back,” said the official while adding that search operations have been intensified in and around the area to track the poachers.
Many animals of the national park leave the park area during the floods, looking for food and elevated ground and the Karbi Hills adjacent to the park is one such area that accommodates the animals during the deluge every year.
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Rhino poached in Kaziranga National Park - Apr 12, 2012
- Assam floods: Park rangers work non-stop to safeguard wildlife - Jun 29, 2012
- Two poachers shot dead in Kaziranga - Dec 13, 2010
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Assam wildlife group protests removal of rhino's horn - Mar 25, 2012
- Rhino killed in Assam park - Aug 24, 2012
- Experts urged to reduce animal deaths in floods - Jul 07, 2012
- Four rhino poachers killed in gunfight in Kaziranga - May 21, 2010
- Animals flee flooded Kaziranga park - Jun 28, 2010
- Alert officials foil rhino poaching in Assam - Jan 23, 2012
- Now dogs to the rescue of Kaziranga rhinos - Jan 22, 2012
- Eight Assam districts affected by floods - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: animals, assam, bullets, carcass, deluge, floods, forest officials, guwahati, karbi anglong, kaziranga national park, neighbouring hills, poachers, preliminary investigation, rhino, search operations