One held for killing woman in front of her sonSeptember 12th, 2012 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) A 30-year-old man was arrested Wednesday for killing a woman in front of her son here Tuesday morning. The killing was allegedly to take revenge from the victim, who had married the killer’s sister’s husband six years ago, police said.
Sandeep shot dead Meenakshi, 30, Tuesday morning in Rohini Sector-16 while she was going to drop her son to school in a rickshaw, said M. A. Rizvi, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police.
Meenakshi’s husband Parminder Rana, 31, told police that Sandeep is the brother of his first wife Ritu.
“Rana had married Ritu in 2004. Two years later, a dispute arose between them and Ritu started living with her parents. In the meantime, Rana started living with Meenakshi in Rohini. There were a series of litigations between Ritu and Rana since 2006. Ritu had filed various cases against Rana regarding harassment for dowry, domestic violence and maintenance at courts in Delhi and in Sonepat,” Rizvi said.
On the basis of the allegations made by Rana, Sandeep was arrested from a relative’s house in west Delhi’s Bawana Wednesday afternoon.
During interrogation, Rizvi said Sandeep confessed to the murder.
Sandeep told police that he and his family members had tried in vain to sort out differences with Rana.
In 2010, Rana made efforts for compromise and Ritu started living with him but he again started avoiding her and started living with Meenakshi.
“Sandeep was angry as Rana was not willing for a compromise. The cases filed by Meenakshi under the Hindu Marriage Act, Domestic Violence Act and Dowry Act were already withdrawn by them to compromise with Rana,” Rizvi said.
Sandeep told police that he made his last effort on Sep 10 for a compromise but Rana threatened him and told him that he would not leave Meenakshi.
“The next day, armed with a pistol, Sandee went looking for Rana, but could not find him. Outside Rana’s flat, he saw Meenakshi with her son. He followed her and shot her in revenge as Rana and Meenakshi had allegedly spoiled his sister Ritu’s married life,” Rizvi said.
- Woman in rickshaw shot dead in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Suspended cop held for plot to kill wife - Sep 06, 2011
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Paralysed man kills wife and son - Feb 03, 2012
- Double murder: Slain woman's lover detained - Feb 04, 2012
- Photo of maid released in ex-Income Tax officer's murder - Sep 13, 2012
- Bihar teacher beaten to death for dowry - Mar 21, 2012
- Army officer surrenders in dowry case - Nov 15, 2011
- Double murder: Slain woman's lover detained (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- British team in Punjab to probe murder case - Sep 17, 2010
- Woman kills children, hangs self in Delhi - May 26, 2012
- At 75, she wants her dowry back - Jun 03, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's son-in-law booked for dowry harassment - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: allegations, bawana, commissioner of police, compromise, deputy commissioner, domestic violence act, dowry, first wife, harassment, hindu marriage act, interrogation, litigations, New Delhi, pistol, rana, revenge, rickshaw, tuesday morning, wednesday afternoon, west delhi