One held for Ajmer Dargah blast (Lead)April 30th, 2010 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 30 (IANS) The Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) of the Rajasthan police has arrested one man in connection with the bomb blast in Ajmer Dargah Sharif Oct 11, 2007, police said Friday.
Three people were killed and at least 30 injured when the bomb exploded around 6.15 p.m. near the Ahata-e-Noor, a courtyard on the premises of the Dargah of Sufi Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti.
The accused Devendra Gupta, hailing from Bihari Ganj in Ajmer, was arrested Wednesday night, police officers told IANS.
Gupta, who was staying in Jharkhand, reached Ajmer to visit his ailing mother on the day he was arrested. “He was presented Friday before the chief judicial magistrate in Ajmer, who remanded him in 12 days’ police custody,” a senior ATS official said.
“He will be brought to Jaipur where he will be further interrogated,” he said.
The ATS said it was now expanding the scope of investigation and more arrests were likely.
“We have started our investigations. A few more persons are on our suspect list and you may see more arrests being made in the coming days. Our investigations are expected to lead us to other states too,” a senior ATS official told IANS.
He said that the main motive behind the blast was to create terror.
Another official said Gupta was under surveillance as he had links with some right-wing Hindu organisations.
Refusing to officially name the organisation, the official said Gupta might have links with a Hindu extremist group.
The official said police were able to trace the accused with the help of SIM cards recovered from the blast site.
Gupta had allegedly purchased the SIM cards for the mobile handset that triggered the blast.
- One held for Ajmer Dargah blast - Apr 30, 2010
- One held for Ajmer Dargah blast, more arrests likely: ATS (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Ajmer bombing mastermind may be in Gujarat: Police - May 02, 2010
- Second suspect held for Ajmer Dargah blast (Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Third suspect held for Ajmer Dargah bombing (Lead) - May 02, 2010
- Second Ajmer blast suspect held, sent to police custody (Second Lead, Changing Dateline) - May 01, 2010
- Court allows narco test on Ajmer blast accused - May 03, 2010
- NIA not allowed to question Ajmer dargah blast suspect - Sep 23, 2011
- Anti-terror sqaud traces car used in Ajmer blast - Dec 25, 2010
- One more held for Ajmer blast - Nov 03, 2010
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Rajasthan ATS granted permission for narco test on Ajmer blast suspect - May 03, 2010
- RSS denies its involvement in Ajmer blast - May 01, 2010
- Ajmer bombing: Rajasthan cops pick up Madhya Pradesh industrialist - May 16, 2010
- Rajasthan ATS files 806-page chargesheet in 2007 Ajmer blast case - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: ats, bomb blast, dargah sharif, devendra, extremist group, ganj, gupta, hindu organisations, investigations, judicial magistrate, mobile handset, moinuddin chisti, motive, oct 11, police custody, police officers, premises, right wing, sim cards, wednesday night