One for the road gets 388 challaned on New Year EveJanuary 1st, 2011 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 1 (IANS) For 484 party revellers in the capital the New Year began on the wrong foot as they found themselves caught on the wrong side of the traffic rules - and mostly also on the high - Friday night.Though the number of offenders were on the lower side this New Year’s Eve, a good 388 were also caught drunk at the wheel.
“Delhi Police issued 388 challans for driving under the influence of alcohol and 63 for violating traffic rules,” a senior Delhi police official said Saturday. Another 29 people were prosecuted for dangerous driving.
Also, four people were prosecuted for offences such as riding bikes without helmet.
Policemen armed with alcometers (breathalysers) were out at all major traffic junctions to nab tipsy revelers at the wheel. Police also deployed volunteers at 20 intersections in the city to regulate vehicles and pedestrians.
“For us, the New Year dawned literally on the road. Traffic and security arrangements were very well in place and we had an incident free celebration in Delhi,” Traffic Police Commissioner Satyendra Garg said on the social networking site Facebook.
Anybody found driving or attempting to drive a vehicle with alcohol level above 30 milligram per 100 millilitre blood faces imprisonment up to six months or a fine of Rs.2,000 or both.
If it is not the first-time offence, one may end up getting a jail term of up to two years or a fine of Rs.3,000 or both, according to traffic rules.
The number of drunk driving cases saw a dip this year compared to 492 violations on the eve of New Year of 2010.
- No mixing drinking and driving, revellers warned - Dec 31, 2011
- New year revellers, beware of infected alcometers - Dec 30, 2011
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Holi revellers warned against breaking traffic rules - Mar 19, 2011
- Delhi Police anti-drinking drive to continue after Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- We'll soon free city of dangerous drivers: Delhi Police - Mar 22, 2012
- 504 fined for drunken driving - Jan 01, 2012
- Holi claims seven lives on Delhi roads - Mar 09, 2012
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Don't drink and drive on New Year's Eve, warns Delhi Police - Dec 30, 2009
- Delhi Police warns against drunk driving on Holi - Mar 04, 2012
- Over 300 held in Delhi for drunk driving in three hours - Apr 16, 2011
- Over 300 held for drunk driving in three hours in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- New law sobers up drunk drivers in China - May 23, 2012
- Drunken driving cases have dropped drastically: Delhi Police - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: alcohol level, breathalysers, challans, delhi police, driving under the influence of alcohol, facebook, free celebration, garg, jail term, milligram, new year eve, police official, revelers, revellers, riding bikes, security arrangements, social networking site, traffic police, traffic rules, wrong foot