One dead, three ill after sipping soft drinkMarch 8th, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 8 (IANS) A youngster lost his life while two of his friends and a shopkeeper took ill in northeast Delhi after consuming a soft drink that is suspected to be contaminated. Qamar Akbar, 22, and his friends Arshad, 22, and Shabab, 25, had gone to a store in Seelampur late Friday and asked for three bottles of soft drinks.
Jameel, the 38-year-old shopkeeper, handed them the drinks. Akbar fainted immediately after taking a couple of sips from the bottle.
“His friends presumed that Akbar was playing games with them and sipped from his bottle. The shopkeeper also tested the drink to check if anything was wrong. And these three people also fell ill,” Akbar’s brother Moin said.
All of them were taken to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital, where doctors declared Akbar dead while the other three were stated to be out of danger.
Police said a case of food adulteration was registered at the Seelampur police station and the matter was under investigation.
“We have taken samples of the drinks and are sending them to a forensic laboratory to check the contents. It is a bottle of the Limca brand,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northeast Delhi) Jaspal Singh.
- Adulteration case against Pepsi set aside - Oct 25, 2010
- Michelle Williams battling flu - Dec 29, 2011
- Girl dies after drinking soft drink in college canteen - Feb 23, 2012
- Ecuador toxic alcohol toll climbs to 50 - Sep 03, 2011
- Man jumps to death - Mar 13, 2012
- Two robbers arrested for murder - Oct 31, 2011
- Man strangles brother after quarrel - Sep 06, 2011
- Somalia car bomb kills 10 at a cafe - Feb 09, 2012
- 10 Ranchi jail staffers suspended for prisoners' death - Jun 06, 2011
- 13 die in Bangladesh after drinking adulterated liquor - Aug 22, 2010
- Overseas Indians ministry official 'poisoned' by junior - Jan 29, 2010
- Apex court quashes adulteration case against Pepsi - Nov 18, 2010
- Three die after consuming cold drink - Mar 14, 2011
- Man claiming car theft nailed by CCTV - Apr 17, 2011
- Hic! In high spirits at Jaipur lit fest (Notes from Litfest) - Jan 25, 2011