One dead as Goa-Mumbai bus plunges into ravineJune 12th, 2012 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Ratnagiri (Maharashtra), June 12 (IANS) One person was killed and 35 injured when a private tourist bus on its way from Goa to Mumbai plunged into a 200-feet-deep ravine early Tuesday, police said.
According to Lanjha police station chief Ramchandra Gavde in Ratnagiri district, the accident occurred around 2 a.m. on the Goa-Mumbai highway.
“Preliminary investigations indicate that the bus may have skidded on the wet roads due to the rains lashing the area in the past two days,” Gavde told IANS.
While one person was killed, 35 have been injured. The condition of four is stated to be serious and they are undergoing treatment at various hospitals in Lanjha and Ratnagiri, he added.
The Thane-registered bus belonged to Kal-Bhairav Travels and the owner has been summoned to Ratnagiri for investigations.
Large parts of the coastal Konkan region of the state have been experiencing very heavy rains since the past couple of days, especially Sindhudurg, Ratnagiri and Raigad, hitting traffic on the busy highway connecting the Maharashtra capital to the coastal state.
- Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two days - Jun 07, 2011
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Three minor quakes in Maharashtra, Gujarat (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra early - Jun 06, 2012
- Two killed as heavy rains lash coastal Maharashtra - Jul 22, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt life, rail links in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 24, 2010
- Konkan region to get more heavy rains - Jul 26, 2010
- Rains hit Konkan Railway services - Jul 17, 2011
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Heavy rains hit trains in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 25, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Ganesh Chaturthi venue gets Rs.14 crore insurance - Sep 01, 2011
- Western, coastal Maharashtra jolted - Dec 12, 2009
- 21 killed as rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra - Oct 03, 2009
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: coastal state, couple of days, deep ravine, early tuesday, goa, heavy rains, hospitals, investigations, maharashtra, mumbai, police station, private tourist, ratnagiri, tourist bus, traffic, travels, undergoing treatment, wet roads