One arrested for attacking journalists in Jamia NagarOctober 19th, 2008 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 18 (IANS) One person was arrested and search was on for another Saturday, a day after a mob beat up a group of mediapersons in Jamia Nagar in south Delhi where two suspected terrorists were shot dead last month.”We have arrested one person, Azhar, in connection with the assault on journalists last last night in Batla House. Another person involved in the assault, Amanatullaha, would also be arrested soon,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) Ajay Chaudhary said.
Afzal, a cameraman of the Sahara Samay NCR news channel, had received severe injuries in the incident. Asif, a correspondent of the Mahua channel, along with Javed of Star News were also injured.
Police had arrested Azhar on the basis of a complaint filed by Asif.
“On Friday, Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh had visited the area to meet a local leader and discuss the shootout. Some people were angry at the journalists gathered on the occasion over some of their questions. A mob soon beat up mediapersons,” said the police official.
Jawed Hussain, a TV news channel reporter, also suffered injuries and was admitted at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and he was discharged Saturday.
He, however, refused to undergo the medical examination and had not lodged any complaint with the police,” said Chaudhary.
- Journalists stage sit-in at Kerala assembly after assaults - Jul 14, 2011
- Staff of two TV news channels clash in Chandigarh - Mar 16, 2009
- Three held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Pakistani journalists assaulted - Jan 26, 2012
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Bangalore lawyers assault mediapersons - Mar 02, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh cop under house arrest, says opposition - Nov 09, 2011
- Kolkata's Park Street rape case: Police find discrepancies - Feb 16, 2012
- Police baton charge injures scribes, cop suspended - Dec 13, 2011
- Eight held for moral policing in Karnataka (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2012
- Kashmir Journalists Guild (KJG) holds election in Srinagar - Nov 11, 2010
- Is Orissa turning unsafe for journalists? - Mar 24, 2011
- Shiv Sena activists held for vandalising news channel office - Jul 17, 2010
- Molestation row: Gogoi asks channel to clarify stand - Jul 19, 2012
- Primitive Indian mindsets resisting change (Comment) - Jul 21, 2012