Omar orders fire safety audit of Kashmir hospitalsDecember 9th, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 9 (IANS) In a quick reaction to the fire in Kolkata’s AMRI hospital that left at least 73 dead, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday ordered a fire safety audit of all major hospitals in the state.
Coming to know of the fire in the morning, Omar Abdullah said that he had learnt lessons from AMRI tragedy and immediately issued instructions to the home department for the fire safety audit.
He made the announcement on micro-blogging site Twitter, where he posted: “Have instructed the Home Deptt to order a fire safety audit of all our major hospitals. Lesson learnt from #AMRI tragedy.”
Meanwhile, the chief minister also made a scathing comment about the hospital functionaries.
“Of course the doctors & staff fled, what else would explain the ratio of staff & patient casualties - 70:3,” he said in another tweet
He also reflected what it revealed the state of affairs of the country. “Every time I see incidents like #AMRI I’m convinced we really are a 3rd world nation with delusions of greatness.”
Following the instructions, an official spokesman said: “On the instructions of chief minister, the home department has issued instructions to fire and emergency services to immediately carry out audit of all government and associated hospitals and private nursing homes in the state vis-à-vis general preparedness to fire incidents and other emergencies.”
Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani asked the fire and emergency services to complete the exercise and submit a detailed report by Dec 20.
He also asked the administration of all government and associated hospitals and nursing homes to equip their health institutions with the required firefighting equipment to avoid any untoward incident.
- After AMRI fire, Mumbai orders fire audits of all hospitals - Dec 14, 2011
- Inflammatory objects in AMRI basement made fire deadly: Minister - Dec 13, 2011
- Fire at two health care facilities - Mar 21, 2012
- 'No emission hazard from AMRI radiotherapy instruments' (Lead) - Dec 12, 2011
- Trinamool Congress: wins politics, fails governance (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 25, 2012
- Panels to check Kolkata fire safety, violators on notice - Dec 10, 2011
- Hospital fire: Kolkatans protest, Mamata orders judicial probe - Dec 11, 2011
- Bengal hospitals to have fire safety officers - Dec 28, 2011
- 'Death of babies in Pakistan hospital fire shocking' - Jun 09, 2012
- Left Front demands high-level probe into hospital fire - Dec 10, 2011
- Kolkata hospital blaze kills 90, India mourns - Dec 10, 2011
- Speed up bail process for veteran AMRI doctor: Gorkha party - Jan 30, 2012
- Government teams inspect fire-hit Bengal hospital - Dec 12, 2011
- Two more directors of AMRI Hospital arrested - Jan 27, 2012
- Two more AMRI Hospital directors arrested (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,