Omar Khan sees need for psychologist for Windies sideMay 25th, 2012 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), May 25 (IANS/CMC) Former West Indies team manager Omar Khan has called on authorities to attach a full-time sports psychologist to the regional side.
Khan said during his stint with the side he had doubled his duties to deal with the mental aspect of the game but stressed it was time to have a dedicated professional performing the role.
“Every professional sports team in the world has one attached to it,” Khan noted.
“The board just have to take a look at the Indian Premier League (IPL) and they will notice that everyone of the nine teams has a psychologist attached to it,” he said.
“Cricket these days has so many dimensions that you need to have a sports psychologist attached to the team right through. We have so much natural talent in cricket but the board has to understand that this alone cannot win matches in these times.”
Psychologist Rudi Webster has been utilised in the past and credited with the turnaround in team performances.
The Barbadian was drafted in for the West Indies home series against India in the Caribbean last year but has not been used since.
Khan said, however, it was vital the West Indies Cricket Board respond to the demands of the contemporary game.
“The world is moving ahead with specialists for specialist positions and yet we cannot seem to understand that we need to take heed of what is happening around us,” Khan argued.
“The psychologist will go a long way in helping the players get the best out of their talent and when you marry that talent with mental toughness you would get excellent players, leading to excellent results.”
- Webster to boost West Indies morale ahead of second Test - Jun 27, 2011
- Sammy backs Gibson's approach to team building - May 25, 2012
- KKR appoints Rudy Webster as mental skills coach - Mar 05, 2012
- Legendary fast bowler Wes Hall knighted - Jun 17, 2012
- Brathwaite will be back, says Sammy - Apr 30, 2012
- Bishoo named Guyana's cricketer-of-the-year - Dec 18, 2011
- Graeme West is new Windies academy director - May 31, 2012
- Holding lambasts WICB, Gibson over handling of senior players - May 25, 2012
- Windies board worried about injury problems - Nov 29, 2011
- Windies board, players' association talks progress - Jun 22, 2012
- Darren Bravo may not play in IPL this season - Apr 25, 2012
- Gayle's return to Windies squad stalled - Mar 20, 2012
- Gus Logie appointed Canada coach for second time - Jun 30, 2012
- Gayle meets West Indies Cricket chief to thrash out issues - Aug 24, 2011
- Caricom to intervene in Gayle-WICB dispute - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: barbadian, ipl, many dimensions, mental aspect, mental toughness, omar khan, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, premier league, professional sports team, rudi, specialist positions, sports psychologist, stint, team performances, time sports, turnaround, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, west indies team