Omar Abdullah’s security breached (Lead)June 10th, 2011 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 10 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s security was breached in the border town of Ranbir Singh Pura near here Friday afternoon when a police constable rushed towards his helicopter in a menacing manner.
The constable was arrested and is being questioned, an official said.
Omar Abdullah has dismissed the security breach as a non-event in a post on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Raising slogans, which were inaudible from a distance, Constable Sohan Lal moved towards the chief minister’s chopper with his arms raised.
But before he could reach the helicopter, he was nabbed by fellow policemen and whisked away.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Jammu) Basant Rath said the constable has been arrested and is being questioned.
The chief minister was here in connection with an interactive session with newly elected panches and sarpanches - elected heads of village councils - in the panchayat polls in Ranbir Singh Pura, 30 km west of Jammu.
Police sources said the policeman was mentally unstable.
This is the second case of breach of security of the chief minister.
On Aug 15 last year, police constable Ahad Jan had thrown a shoe at the chief minister during the Independence Day function in Srinagar. Jan was dismissed from service.
In a retweet posted on Twitter after the incident, Omar said: “Wow, I can’t believe a non-event was made such a big deal of. My security wasn’t breached & I didn’t face any threat from the unarmed chap.”
He also retweeted to some of his followers : “I’m really touched some of you cared enough to ask but seriously I didn’t even notice anything other than the fact that he seemed unbalanced.”
One of his followers asked whether the cop was wearing shoes (referring to the shoe hurling of last year), Omar replied: “I didn’t notice but I assume he was. He didn’t throw them at me if that’s what you are hinting.”
- Omar Abdullah's security breached - Jun 10, 2011
- Shoe-thrower mentally unsound: Kashmir Police - Aug 15, 2010
- 15 J-K police personnel suspended for shoe-hurling incident - Aug 15, 2010
- Shoe thrower gets hero's welcome in Kashmir village - Aug 18, 2010
- 15 cops suspended for shoe thrown at Omar - Aug 15, 2010
- In Ramadan spirit, Omar pardons shoe thrower - Aug 17, 2010
- Omar asks uncle not to drag him into controversy - Nov 22, 2011
- Omar asks separatists: Where are you during winter? - May 27, 2011
- 15 Kashmir cops suspended after shoe attack on Omar (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Omar takes a dig at Pakistan - Jul 26, 2011
- No 'security' help for my brief case, tweets Abdullah - Feb 08, 2011
- Throwing footwear: A trend to showcase anger - Oct 18, 2011
- Shoe hurled at Omar, attacker is suspended cop (Third Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Omar tweets on Pakistan minister's match-fixing warning - Mar 28, 2011
- Shoes thrown at others, Pawar first to be assaulted (Timeline) - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: ahad, border town, friday afternoon, interactive session, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, lal, police constable, police sources, policeman, policemen, pura, ranbir singh, rath, security breach, sohan, srinagar, twitter, village councils