Oman to allow temple, gurdwaraNovember 24th, 2010 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) Oman has assured India that it will soon allow a temple and a gurdwara to be built in the country, home to some 500,000 expatriate Indians, it was announced Wednesday.
The assurance was given by Omani Minister of Awqaf and Religious Affairs Shaikh Abdullah bin Mohammed al Salmi to India’s Minister for Minority and Corporate Affairs Salman Khurshid.
Khurshid was in Muscat to represent India as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s special envoy on the 40th anniversary of the renaissance of Oman celebrated Sunday.
The Omani minister told Khurshid “that permission for building of a temple and a gurdwara would be given shortly”, an official statement said.
Khurshid also interacted with a section of Indian expatriates. Of the over 4.8 million expatriate Indians in the Gulf, 500,000 are in Oman, according to official estimates.
The Indian minister held talks with Omani leadership to expand India-Oman ties.
“During his meeting with King Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said, Kurshid conveyed warm greetings and felicitations on behalf of the prime minister and the people of India,” the statement said.
The minister’s visit coincided with the 55th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
Khurshid also called on Oman’s Minister of Commerce and Industry Maqbool bin Ali bin Sultan and discussed strengthening of collaboration in food, education and IT sectors.
“Space, renewable energy and nuclear energy cooperation also came in for discussion,” according to the statement.
- Antony meets Indian diaspora in Omam - May 18, 2010
- Six jailed for offending Oman sultan on Facebook - Jul 18, 2012
- India, Oman to boost economic, energy ties - Oct 19, 2010
- Oman Oil to invest $3 bn in Indian fertilizer plants - Sep 06, 2010
- Iran, Oman commanders discuss military cooperation - May 12, 2012
- India, Oman discuss maritime security, terrorism - May 18, 2010
- Antony to visit Oman next week - May 14, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth to visit Oman - Nov 22, 2010
- Omani university develops low-fat 'halwa' - Feb 21, 2011
- Manmohan inaugurates Bina refinery, announces Bundelkhand package - May 20, 2011
- Manmohan inaugurates Madhya Pradesh refinery (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Geojit BNP Paribas forms joint venture in Oman - Sep 21, 2011
- India, Oman to boost trade, check human trafficking (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2008
- Antony visits Oman to boost security ties - May 17, 2010
- Oman's ruler sacks 12 ministers - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,